We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaheim to San Francisco

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Anaheim to San Francisco

Hello All,

I have planned an a 14 day road trip with my wife and 4 year old daughter from Anaheim to San Francisco based on what I read in the forums.

Accommodations are booked. But I am not sure what to plan on seeing. Would love recommendations. Of places to see /stuff to do/place to eat. Keeping in mind I am travelling with a toddler.

Plan

Day 1&2: Disney Land

Night 3,4,5: hotel in Santa Barbara.

Night 6,7: hotel in cambria. Tickets booked for warts castle

Night 8,9: hotel in Monterey

Night 10,11,12 and 13: hotel in San Fran

Thanks in advance.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anaheim to San Francisco

Santa Barbara: The zoo, Stearns Wharf

Cambria: Look for sea otters at Leffingwell Landing off Moonstone Beach Drive, the wooden path along the Moonstone Beach Drive shoreline, visit the Cambria Nursery and walk the outdoor "rooms" they've designed and their cute gift boutique.

The drive between Cambria and Monterey:

Elephant seal rookery 4 miles north of Hearst Castle

Ragged Point

McWay Falls @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park

Nepenthe or Cafe Kevah in Big Sur for lunch

Monterey: Monterey Bay Aquarium, Dennis the Menace Park, paddle boat at El Estero Lake, MY Museum, beach at Lover's Point Park, Carmel Beach, Point Lobos

Edited: 28 June 2013, 15:44
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,344 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anaheim to San Francisco

it helps us to know which part of the country or world you are coming from. (based on your profile). Is day 1 your travel day or is there a day 0 for travel. Because with kid, you may need more time to do Disneyland than a day and a half. It is it 2 full days, that may be ok.

Are you skipping La completely ? I presume 3 days in SB are to relax.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anaheim to San Francisco

Thanks for the comments and questions so far.

We live in Toronto.

Arrive Day 0 in Anaheim (which is before Day 1). Planning 1.5 days in Disney Land could make it two and get late to Santa Barbara if that makes more sense. Wasn't sure how long to spend in Disney Land with 3.5 year old....my wife is not an amusement park lover....

Original plan was to leave Disney 1 or 2pm on day two and meander to Santa Barbara maybe spend time in Santa Monica.

A few years ago (pre kid) visited LA and San Diego with my wife and I get down to LA for business once every two years...as such did not allocate any time to LA

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anaheim to San Francisco

1.5 days will be fine with your 3.5 YO. There are only so many rides she'll be able to ride anyway. It is wise to leave Anaheim by 2 pm to avoid the traffic rush in LA, although you may be hitting it by the time you reach that area. Probably a good idea to take the coast route up. Just be prepared for lots of traffic lights.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anaheim to San Francisco

Kibblesmom...which one is the coast road? (I find it confusing as every road appears to have three nicknames).

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anaheim to San Francisco

In Southern California, the coast road is called PCH, but is also known as Highway 1. The PCH eventually meets up with Highway 101 in Oxnard and actually piggybacks with Highway 101 for several miles until just past Gaviota, where you'll see an exit for Highway 1 toward Lompoc. That stretch of Highway 1 does NOT follow the coast, however, so you're better off just continuing up Highway 101 until you reach San Luis Obipso, where you'll connect with Highway 1 toward Morro Bay/Hearst Castle. From SLO, Highway 1 continues all the way up to Pacifica and turns toward SF.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,826 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anaheim to San Francisco

No Hogwarts in CA unfortunately, I think you Hearst Castle :)

It is very, very confusing because the coastal highway has so many names and changes numbers a couple of times.

In general, what ever its name at the time, Highway 1 will be the closest to the coast. At times Highway 101 & Highway 1 are the same. Look for numbers, not names where possible. The only exception will be as noted above. I would not take the 1 through Lompoc unless you really wanted to see Vandenberg Air Force Base.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anaheim to San Francisco

Thanks so much.

Autocorrect changed Hearst to warts...I am sure my daughter would like to go to warts.

9. Re: Anaheim to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 05:17