We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
44 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

Hi all,

I am travelling to the US next month.We are travelling from DV to Mariposa(Best Western) then onto San Fran. We want to take In Yosemite on the way. What is the best way of doing this???

Drive into/through the park from DV or drive to Mariposa from DV then into the park and back out?

We cannot stop of anywhere as we have no free days.

Thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

Hi and welcome to the forum

It already will take most of the day to drive from DV to Mariposa and I suggest to take your time for Tioga Rd. So my advice would be to drive to Mariposa first and next day via the Valley to San Francisco.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
44 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

Does the Tioga Rd take in Yosemite? I wouldn't mind the drive if it meant heading straight from Mariposa to San Fran the following day?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

You'll have more time next day. Entrance to Yosemite is at Tioga pass (east entrance) where you will have to pay your fee or enter free with a National Parks pass.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
44 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

Thanks for your help. Looks like the 395 is the best road(even if a long one) Then into the park on the 120/140 to Mariposa.

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

I am somewhat confused with Tet's post. Sorry Tet!

Let me see if I understand the OP --

The OP indicates they have no free nights between Death Valley and Mariposa, CA.

The OP wants to drive from Death Valley to Mariposa, CA where they have accommodations at the Best Western.

The OP wants to know how to do this while taking in Yosemite National Park.

The OP wants to know if Tioga Road is in Yosemite National Park.

MY ANSWER:

Leave Death Valley National Park and head WEST to Highway 395.

NORTH on Highway 395 to Highway 120.

WEST on Highway 120. This is called the Tioga Pass Road. It takes you to YNP via the east entrance of Yosemite.

Pay the entrance fee and take all of the paper information handed you by the ranger at the YNP entrance.

Once inside YNP, continue WEST on Highway 120

Follow the map and the signs to YOSEMITE VALLEY (this is the hub inside YNP).

From Yosemite Valley go WEST on Highway 140 to Mariposa, CA (approx 43 miles from YV to Mariposa).

So, yes, Tioga Road (also called Tioga Pass Road) takes you inside YNP.

It will be a long day but in July when you are visitng, the sun sets around 8:00 at night.

The next day it will be an easy drive from Mariposa, CA to San Francisco, CA.

I hope I haven't confused anyone.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 17:01
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,972 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

Yep. Did you read the article in the Top Questions with details? tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361

Stovepipe Wells in DVNP to the Tioga Pass Entrance of Yosemite NP, continuing on Hwy 120 / Tioga Road through Tuolumne Meadows, bypassing Yosemite Valley entirely (not even a peek) and exiting Yosemite at the Arch Rock Entrance will take about 6.5 hours without any traffic delays (departure from Furnace Creek instead of Stovepipe Wells, queue at the entrance/exit station, slow downs for RVs, delay at the one lane section on Hwy 140) could easily increase this to 7.5 hours of sitting in your car. If you get out at any of the numerous scenic spots, add time. If you need gasoline or food, add time. If you want to drive down into Yosemite Valley, add time.

Hopefully you can start really really early in Death Valley NP

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

I still don't see why the OP can't visit the Valley in the morning before driving to San Francisco taking 120.

LA
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

There is also a SPEED LIMIT inside the park.

This is not a freeway and you are not allowed to fly through it. There is slow traffic, pedestrians, and animals crossing the roads.

Considering how poorly this segment is planned, I would encourage you to fly to San Francisco and forget about the drive. You aren't going to remember anything.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
44 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

Thanks to very getting back, with special thanks to NotafanofTA & PacificNWFamily.

Basically we really want to get to see YNP. This sounds really good what was said above. We are staying in the Furance Creek and don't mind leaving early 7-8am to get on the road. It is a once in a lifetime trip so don't mind being out in the car all day.

One final question, does the Highway 120 & YOSEMITE VALLEY (this is the hub inside YNP) have the scenic routes ?.

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Death Valley>Yosemite>Mariposa

Your Question:

> > > Does the Highway 120 & YOSEMITE VALLEY (this is the hub inside YNP) have the scenic routes?

OH MY GOSH does it ever!

Your eyes will be hurting from looking at all of the beautiful scenery! You will see awesome scenery, alpine lakes, rock cliffs, Tuolumne Meadows, waterfalls might be a little sparse, but there will also be El Capitan and Half Dome!

You will actually be there -- IN PERSON! The famous pictures of Yosemite will come alive right in front of you! Whoever is driving in Yosemite -- try to keep your eyes on the road! Are you getting excited!

Yes, I would definitely try to leave before 8:00 AM from Death Valley. Leaving by 7:00 AM would be better, in my opinion. Then you will have about 5 hours driving to get to the Tioga Pass entrance of Yosemite -- this pass is just under 10,000 feet elevation. You will be on the *inside* of the road going up the mountain to Yosemite so therefore it won't be scarey at all. Gas up before you leave Furnace Creek -- do this the evening before you leave.

I would leave Yosemite Valley by no later than 7:00 PM to drive the 43 miles from Yosemite Valley to Mariposa, CA (Highway 140). This is also a very scenic route along the Merced River. It will be getting dark around 8:00 PM in August. It's getting dark around 8:45 to 9:00 PM these evenings in July -- and I live just to the north of Yosemite National Park.

(Maybe I shouldn't say this because you have not asked, but many people find a fascination with Bodie Ghost Town. On Highway 395 you will see signs to it. In my opinion, I don't quite understand the fascination -- I would skip it if I were you because your day is already packed to the fullest.)