We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching

I would really like advice about whether to go whale watching in august ,and if so whether Monterey or santa barbara( or anywhere else youd recommend.?) might be the best place? Also is it oftenvbery rough out to sea? Dont want to feed the whales with last nights tea?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,707 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching

Here is a link from the Orange County Forum on whale watching in So Cal, but it has good general information too.

If it was too rough, the boats would not go out. If you've never been out on small boats before, take some drammie.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching

Here is the link, which seemed to "disappear" in the prior post...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32513-i720-k62824…

In the Orange County, much of the year is good for whale watching, due tot he Blue Whales hanging out in the summer, here is part of a recent e-mail I got from one company. (Dated 5/29/13)

>>Blue Whales & Finback Whales Arrive In Large Numbers. $14 Whale Watching Cruise Special.

Hi Everyone

The last 4-5 days has seen some outstanding whale watching with the largest of all whales the giant blue whale and second largest whale the finback. Not only have there been lots of whales over the last several days but the sightings have been exceptional.<<

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching

Oops, I posted the wrong e-mail, here is one from June 27th, so more current....

>>

14 Blue Whales & 6 Minke Whales On Whale Watching Cruises Weds June 26.

Hi Everyone

Great viewings on the whale watching cruises yesterday Weds June 26 with 14 blue whales, 6 minke whales, and over 1000 common dolphin. There have been good numbers of minke whales in our area for about 2 weeks and looks like the blue whales have moved in as well. We expect some great viewing on the whale watching cruises for the coming days.<<

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching

thanks for so much help.

do you know whhich companies you would recommnded and where they sail from? I take it that south c might be better than the Monterey area?

thanks

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,754 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching

Monterey is a great area for a whale watching tour. If I were planning a whale watch tour, I would book with Sanctuary Cruises out of Moss Landing.

https://www.sanctuarycruises.com/

Edited: 07 July 2013, 13:06
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching

thanks-so hard to choose between North or south for our trip as we will be in both areas

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching

hi

which compnay is this -it sounds good

thanks

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,651 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watching

August is a great time for the Blues. Just fit a trip when you have room in your itinerary. Options are in Orange County like Darkbeer suggested, Long Beach in LA County, Ventura, Monterey proper, or Moss Landing just north of Monterey. I have gone from all of these plus in Alaska and Hawaii. Right now all areas are good. When do you have time?

There is always a chance for rough seas from all locations even this time of the year. Take your usual precautions. I am very very prone but I still manage to enjoy by taking precautions. Have you been in open water before and how did you do?

Edited: 21 July 2013, 02:40
Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale watching

You'll see humpbacks and possibly blue whales in August on Monterey Bay. Orcas come in the bay about once a week. Sanctuary Cruises will provide the best value and the most personalized tour and is eco-friendly running biodiesel. Five Stars on TripAdvisor, too.

www.sanctuarycruises.com

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,651 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale watching

Micheal - you are not allowed to self promote here.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 07:09