We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Monterey to Anaheim

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Monterey to Anaheim

Hi,

As part of a trip to California myself and my boyfriend are staying in Monterey but need to be in Anaheim in the evening due to booking basketball game tickets. I understand we will have to leave early in the morning due to traffic when getting into LA but wondered it it possible to drive along then big sur partly (or fully) during the day?

Any tips would be great. We are happy to leave Monterey around 8am.

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,448 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Monterey to Anaheim

Monterey to Anaheim via Highway 1/Big Sur is an 8 hour drive WITHOUT stops!!

There is no partly when it comes to driving Big Sur. Once you commit, you're in it fully. There are NO short cuts back to faster moving roads.

You will likely encounter traffic through Pismo Beach, Santa Maria. Definitely through Santa Barbara, Ventura/Oxnard and into/through LA.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With such a strict time schedule, I suggest you by-pass Big Sur and take Highway 101 all the way down to LA. That will take approx 6 1/2 hours WITHOUT stops to reach Anaheim..

Edited: 17 July 2013, 13:59
Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Ventura
Ventura
California
Oxnard
Oxnard
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Monterey to Anaheim

It's too bad you didn't allow for more time between Monterey and Anaheim. Most people would tell you this trip needs 2-3 days at least to enjoy it properly. There is no partial drive through Big Sur. Once you're on Highway 1 headed south, there is no viable inland turnoff (except Nacimiento-Fergusson road, which is not a shortcut and goes through a military base, which might be an issue for non-US citizens) and you must drive the entire 90 miles through Big Sur. It's 9 hours minimum of driving from Monterey to Anaheim along the coast without stops, possibly longer depending on traffic.

If that's too much driving, you'll need to head inland from Monterey to Highway 101, which is a somewhat faster route but avoids Big Sur altogether.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 14:03
Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Monterey to Anaheim

Thanks for your replies, , I suspected there was no partial drive but thought i'd check! maybe if we commit to leaving even earlier we could do it. Will have a think! We should have thought before buying the lakers tickets but really wanted to see a game and the way things panned out we were in Monterey the night before.

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Monterey to Anaheim

P.S can anyone advise roughly how much fuel will cost for the highway 1 route? Our hire car is a Chevrolet spark or similar so quite small.

I just want a rough idea as no idea what gas prices are like there compared to here in the UK.

Thanks

Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Monterey to Anaheim

Gas is around $4 per gallon, except in really isolated places like Big Sur where it's hard to bring supplies in, and prices are well over $5 per gallon. As I recall, your gas is priced in liters so it may be hard to compare, but there are about 4 liters in a gallon.

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
6. Re: Driving from Monterey to Anaheim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 06:19