We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B or hotel Highway 1 LA to SF

Isle of Man, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
B&B or hotel Highway 1 LA to SF

My wife and I are doing a road trip in August flying into SF from the UK, travelling through and stopping in the following places over 21 days:-

Yosemite

Bridgeport

Death Valley

Vegas

Flagstaff

Lake Havasu

LA

Before returning to SF for a couple of nights before flying back to the UK. We have prebooked all hotels except one which leaves us with a free night between LA and SF. Does anyone recommend anywhere roughly halfway along Highway 1, ideally I wold love to stop somewhere that we can relax and basically sit and watch the stars at night before heading back into SF the next day. Budget not really a concern so anywhere between a B&B and nice 4* hotel would be good. As we will be coming to the bend of our trip would like somewhere memorable as it sour first trip to the west coast. Thanks.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B or hotel Highway 1 LA to SF

The usually places to stop on the highway 1 drive between LA and SF if you are only taking one night and that are around half way would be Cambria (most popular), Morro Bay or Pismo Beach. Other posters I'm sure will be along with specific hotel suggestions in these areas.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B or hotel Highway 1 LA to SF

I concur with the above that Cambria is a lovely place to stay and sounds like it will suit you well.

I think it's better to have two nights on the trip from LA to SF via Highwa1, adding a second night at Carmel. Although it sounds like you have your itinerary in place and reservations made, if you have any wiggle room to work with I think you'd be glad you added the extra night.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,677 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B or hotel Highway 1 LA to SF

Cambria really is the logical mid way stop between LA and SF, but, as mentioned, it really cuts into time for some of the most scenic coastline in the U.S. I know some wonderful B&B's, but they're too far north of LA and too close to SF to work for you.

Cambria lodging: Moonstone Landing, Sand Pebbles Inn, Best Western Fireside Inn, Pelican Inn. All are on Moonstone Beach Drive with ocean front rooms. None of these are what I would consider luxury lodging, but they are all comfortably decorated, some with decks, some with patios.

LA to Cambria is approx. a 4 hour drive WITHOUT stops

Cambria to SF is approx. a 6 hour drive WITHOUT stops, but needs a good 10-15 hours to do it justice. The Highway north of Cambria is along the remote Big Sur coast where lodgings are few and far between, which makes Cambria the logical stop for the night because it gives you more dining options instead of the mediocre food at most of the lodgings along the Big Sur.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just an FYI.... It's highly unlikely you'll see stars anywhere along the coast at night. Summer is our fog season and it rolls in late afternoon/early evening and hangs around until mid to late morning. Doesn't happen every day, but something you should be aware of.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 23:21
4. Re: B&B or hotel Highway 1 LA to SF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 05:17