We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay other than LA

Bristol England
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay other than LA

We are travelling to San Francisco, then Monterey and eventually Vegas but would like some where else other than LA to stay in between Monterey and Vegas, can anyone help?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,341 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay other than LA

Are you driving? Are you planning on taking the coastal drive which is one of the most beautiful coastal drives in the world?

If you are driving, I would stop in Cambria then go east, through Bakersfield, and head towards Las Vegas.

Dr. Z

Mentioned in this post
Bakersfield
Bakersfield
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,310 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay other than LA

What route are you taking ? which part of the year? Have you mapped out a route using maps.google.com ? Is this an overnight or are you looking to find a place for a few days ? What would you like to do there?

Have you read the top Questions on California on the right side of this web page?

We work best when the OP provides us a lot more info about, who,what when, why. Or we can just throw random suggestions but at the end of the day it is your vacation and not ours

Many like the idea of doing the coast and then heading to Yosemite and then down south to Lone Pine and then out of the state. There is a Top Question on this drive as well

Others may go south on the Big Sur and see Cambria and then SLO and Santa Barbara and cut across to go to LV

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay other than LA

when are you travelling? what do you like to do? how many days are you looking to fill? some places that come to mind are Ojai, ca...palm springs, ca, bryce canyon

Mentioned in this post
Ojai
Ojai
California
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay other than LA

Although Bryce (and Zion) are fantastic, they will be far out of your way.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,310 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay other than LA

As I mentioned -- Or we can just throw random suggestions but at the end of the day it is your vacation and not ours

Why Not ? Here is one

>>>some places that come to mind are Ojai, ca...palm springs, ca, bryce canyon

Mentioned in this post
Ojai
Ojai
California
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay other than LA

Off the top of my head , I would suggest :

OPTION ONE (southward down the coast highway)

Night 1 in Cambria, California (or in San Luis Obispo for less $$$) and

Night 2 in Tehachapi, California using Highway 58 east out of San Luis Obispo to Bakersfield, California and continuing east on 58 to Tehachapi

(google maps says it takes 3 hours 3 minutes from San Luis Obispo to Tehachapi and from Tehachapi to LAs Vegas is 3 and 1/2 hours)

OPTION TWO (add Santa Barbara after Cambria or San Luis Obispo, then to Tehachapi & Las Vegas AVOIDING LOS ANGELES)

If you want to add Santa Barbara after San Luis Opispo, that is quite do-able. Leaving Santa Barbara drive southward on Highway 101 to Ventura, CA. Drive east on Highway 126 through Santa Paula and Fillmore to Interstate 5 . . . then south on I-5 for 9 miles, then north on Highway 14, exit Pearblossom Highway (yep, I know that exact exit, and that is a good route!) Follow signage east to Barstow to Interstate 15 and on to Las Vegas.

NOTE: Pearblossom Highway is not a freeway. Some of it is divided highway. Once you get east of Palmdale, some of this highway could be just one lane each direction out through the desert, so drive very carefully and defensively -- headlights "ON" is a good idea on this route!

OPTION THREE (no coast highway)

From Monterey, spend the night in Tehachapi, California using either Highway 101 or Interstate 5 to Bakersfield, then east from Bakersfiled on 58 to Tehachapi. (google maps says it takes 4 and 1/2 hours using 101 or Interstate 5 from Monterey to Tehachapi and from Tehachapi to Las Vegas it is only 3 and 1/2 hours to Las Vegas.)

Are you totally confused now? I really hope not! Just fire up Google Maps on your computer, or whatever maps you use, and do the *GET DIRECTIONS* I chose Tehachapi because I think it is the best little town mid-way, in fact, we will be staying in Tehachapi on our way to Las Vegas from our home! There is quite a nice selection of hotels in Tehachapi (no offense to the good people who live in Mojave, California).

Hope this information helps and isnot confusing.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 22:47
Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Tehachapi
Tehachapi
California
Bakersfield
Bakersfield
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Ventura
Ventura
California
Santa Paula
Santa Paula
California
Fillmore
Fillmore
California
Palmdale
Palmdale
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay other than LA

Oops . . . I did bad on OPTION TWO. I wrote above: OPTION TWO (add Santa Barbara after Cambria or San Luis Obispo, then to Tehachapi & Las Vegas AVOIDING LOS ANGELES)

I should have deletted Tehachapi on OPTION TWO.

I should have said:

OPTION TWO (add Santa Barbara after Cambria or San Luis Obispo, DELETE TEHACHAPI, and go direct to Las Vegas AVOIDING LOS ANGELES) Google maps says Santa Barbara to Las Vegas is 5 hours 15 minutes using Highway 126 and Interstate 15.

So sorry . . . must have been a senior moment!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Tehachapi
Tehachapi
California
Bristol England
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay other than LA

Thanks for all your replies, it's given us a few ideas. We will be travelling July next year, planning to watch the MotoGp at Laguna Seca, then having a few days relaxing and possibly sight seeing before heading to Vegas

Mentioned in this post
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,683 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay other than LA

@Notafan - >>Once you get east of Palmdale, some of this highway could be just one lane each direction out through the desert<<

Nearly all of it is one lane each direction. The highway is just fine, it's the "idjits" driving on it who make it dangerous ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Palmdale
Palmdale
California
10. Re: Where to stay other than LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 06:19