We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California

Carlow, Carlow...
6 posts
Save Topic
California

Hi all

Myself and the girlfriend are headin on a road trip in sep, flying into san fran and out of vegas for 14 nights, 3 in san fran and last 3 in vegas. any ideas how to plan out in between and any good hotels in vegas, cheers

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California

Many good hotels in Vegas - ask in the Las Vegas forum but a few to consider are Wynn, Encore, Cosmopolitan, Cesar's Palace, Belagio, and Venetian.

As for the remainder of the time, what other types of things interest you. With 8 nights to spare, you could do something like San Francisco to Yosemite, Yosemite to Monterey, Monterey to LA via highway 1 and through Big Sur (one of the most scenic drives in the world) with an overnight stop or two along the way in Cambria, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, or Santa Barbara. A few days in LA, and possibly a couple of days in San Diego before heading to Vegas.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California

Another option is to drive south from SF to Monterey and Cambria, then head to Yosemite NP for a couple of days. Tioga pass to 395 along eastern sierra to Lone Pine and via Death Valley NP to Las Vegas.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,946 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California

I would recommend 2 or 3 nights in Monterey, Carmel or Pacific Grove. In the day between, drive down the Big Sur coast, at least as far as Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and then back up. Visit Point Lobos near Carmel. For a travelogue of that area, see https:/…5621071823861282305

Then head inland from Monterey to Yosemite National Park, and stay 3 nights there. The famous waterfalls are drying up; in fact on the webcam today it appears that Yosemite Falls is already dry. Some of the other falls will still have some water. But the landscape and views are still spectacular at any time. Your final night could be at Lee Vining on the east side of the park. Then stay 1 night in Bishop and 1 night in Lone Pine. For a travelogue of that area see travelswithbillandnancy.com/eastern_sierras.…

Carlow, Carlow...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: California

Being honest we dont mind what we do. The usual stuff I guess. Yosemite, L.A, grand canyon, san diego just we hav no clue of how to go about planning time. Is accomadation easy got in by just stopping in a place or do you have to pre book

Carlow, Carlow...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: California

Sorry I meant to say I have no idea of how much time I need in these places to plan the journey. Thanks for the replys

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California

Prebooking is always advised especially for areas like Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and SF. Without prebooking you would be lucky to find a nice place or even a place at all. If anything, Las Vegas is a place where you can just show up to find a place. San Francisco is in high demand in Sept and prices are high while availability would be low.

Tet (post #2) gave you a fairly good basic itinerary to see some beautiful CA sites. With the time alotted for your trip it would make sense to do that route and skip the Southern California stuff for now.

Dr. Z

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California

SF ---- 3 nights

Monterey--- 1 night

Cambria--- 1 night

Yosemite--- 3 nights

Lone Pine--- 1 night

Death Valley NP--- 1 night, maybe 2

Las Vegas--- 3 nights

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California

I see you also mentioned Grand Canyon NP Will be tough to also include that because it's on a 5 hours drive east of Las Vegas. If you go, go to Grand canyon National Park aka south rim or north rim and not to a place called Grand Canyon West. The NP is much deeper, wider and more colorful. At least one night for sunset and sunrise is recommended.

Carlow, Carlow...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: California

Yeah I have san fran and vegas pre booked and I was just leaving the other nights until I knew where I was going or where I ended up on the day and thought gettin a motel would be the best option without prebooking. Yosemite and the grand canyon are definitely on the to do list. Holly wood also and after that just to roam around I guess. Thanks for all the helpful replys.

Carlow, Carlow...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: California

Yeah I have san fran and vegas pre booked and I was just leaving the other nights until I knew where I was going or where I ended up on the day and thought gettin a motel would be the best option without prebooking. Yosemite and the grand canyon are definitely on the to do list. Holly wood also and after that just to roam around I guess. Thanks for all the helpful replys.