We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

Hi there. Me and my bf are going to Vegas on holiday in December for a week. We are thinking of hiring a car for a day and drive down to Anaheim Disney or knotts berry farm. Is there a route there which doesn't go on the interstate/highway the whole way? Would be nice to see more of America not on these busy roads. Any suggestions will b helpful.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

Hiring a car for a day? When you get to Disneyland or Knotts were you thinking of going in? Based on what you want, you'll have about 10 hours of driving time, more if you don't take the highway, and only a quick look at Disney.

Try this.... hop on a convenient, quick, and relatively inexpensive flight to any one of a number of Southern California Airports (LAX, SNA, BUR) and take a quick taxi ride or Metro ride to your amusement park of choice. Spend the night in Anaheim then take a flight back to Las Vegas.

Easy, no driving worries, relaxing, and fun.....everything a vacation should be, right?

Dr. Z

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

If you are just going for a day, you should probably just go the interstate. It will be a 4+hour drive each way with no traffic. Avoid that drive from Vegas to Anaheim on Sunday.And Anaheim to Vegas on a Friday.

There are back routes thru the desert, like the one thru the Mojave Preserve that goes by Joshua Tree National Park and Palm Springs before heading to Anaheim. From PS to Anahiem, you could also take the back route of Hwy 74 over the mountains and end at San Juan Capitrano.Then run PCH up the coast and turn inland to Anaheim. That route will take two days to do it right.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,719 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

Fly. Southwest.com from LAS (Las Vegas Airport) to SNA (John Wayne Airport). Take the Disneyland Express Bus to the Disneyland Resort area. I would recommend staying overnight and hiring a car and exploring the Greater L.A. Metro area, maybe dropping off the car at one of the other airports (LAX or BUR) and flying back to Las Vegas.

It's helpful if you include your country/city of residence in your profile. This way, we can give you the most effective responses. To add this info, click on 'your tripadvisor' at the top of the page and edit your profile. I'm gonna guess Sydney.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

The two closest airports to Anaheim are Long Beach (LGB) which is a major jetBlue airport and John Wayne (aka Orange County/Santa Ana/SNA).

I would not pick Bob Hope Airport (Burbank/BUR) due to the distance and the drive on I-5.

LAX is good if you plan to use the Disneyland Express Airport Bus.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-s301/Anaheim:C…

Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

Thanks for ur reply. We are more interested in doing the driving and seeing sights than the parks at the moment. We were considering driving to death vally instead. But we were going to do the trip to canyon is it worth doing both?

Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

P.s we are from the UK not Australia.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

When you do the trip to the Grand Canyon, I hope you plan to go to the National Park at the South Rim, and not the tourist trap west rim on tribal land.

The GC rim is at 7000 feet so the possibility of snow exists. The canyon looks amazing in snow.

It would be a a great time for DV too. Both places are very much worth it.

DV is about 2-2.5 hours from Vegas, GC is about 4.5. Both are better with an overnight.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,637 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

Anaheim is not a day trip from Las Vegas, even though it is possible, you spend more than a third of the day just driving.

The Grand Canyon is not a day trip either, you want to overnight there at the South Rim. Death Valley can be a day trip, but an overnight at the Furnace Creek Inn is better.

Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

Thanks. We planned on doing a flight to canyon (one of virgins excursions) is it better to do it yourself and drive? I don't know which part the helicopter takes us too, would we need a day each to do canyon and death vally? Or is it possible to do it in a day? Sorry about my lack of geography knowledge!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,637 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Vegas to Anaheim

The helicopter goes to the so called "West Rim" you do NOT want to go there.

Go to the Grand Canyon National Park Forum or Las Vegas Forum to get information on South Rim vs west rim.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143028-i157-Grand…