We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from San Diego to San Francisco

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Road trip from San Diego to San Francisco

Hello again to all of you !!!

The days to come to California are drawing near and we are trying to organise our travel to meet the best of our expectations.

As I have written in a previous post we are 7 travellers from Greece that will come to the USA 1st September and will stay there until 15th.

We would like to make the famous “Big Sur” drive from San Diego to San Francico and thus I would like your knowledge in helping me (or us better) meeting the key points and destinations during this trip. Just for your info, we won’t stop to LA on our way after San Diego, as we have already stayed there a few days ago.

We will leave from San Diego on 10th September and our plan is to arrive on San Francisco on the 12th. During these two days we will make probably 2 stops, most prefereably in Monterey, San Louis Obisco, Santa Cruz, Pismo Beach (we don’t know exactly where).

Thank you in advance for your assistance and fro sharing your travelling knoledge with us.

Greeting from Greece

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from San Diego to San Francisco

Night 1: Pismo Beach (5 1/2-6 hour drive from SD WITHOUT stops and/or traffic)

Night 2: Monterey (4 hour drive WITHOUT stops, but plan on at least 7-10 for stops en route, as this drive includes scenic Big Sur)

Edited: 04 August 2013, 21:18
Pauma Valley, CA
Level Contributor
405 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from San Diego to San Francisco

Your best bet for doing this drive in two days is to overnight in Cambria. There are many motels and B&B's in this quaint town. You can stop in Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo on the first day. The second day you may want to stop in several places during the drive up through Big Sur. Hearst Castle is just north of Cambria and might be worth a visit for you.

http://www.hearstcastle.org/

I recommend a stop at the Kevah Cafe at Nepenthe for coffee and a snack or lunch. The view from the deck is beautiful.

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

Later you can stop in Monterey.

I just did this trip and stopped over night twice. Arroyo Grande and Monterey.. Two nights might be better.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from San Diego to San Francisco

Good morning dear travellers !!!

Thank you once again for your immediate response and feedback.

We are aware of the scenic place during the Big Sur drive and everyone that I have read in many articles inside the forum is talking about the beautiful wiews during this trip.

I would just like to know more things about the Big Sur drive. Therefore i would like to tell me if it is possible about 10 key points to stop and take some pictrures or have a small break

You have mentioned above Hearst Castle and Neptenthe, but could you please tell me some more options available for sightseeing and taking photographs?

Thank you

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from San Diego to San Francisco

Sure. Happy to.

Elephant seal rookery 4 miles north of Hearst Castle

Ragged Point (First elevated stop along the Big Sur with amazing views from the northwest back corner of the property)

Lucia (Good beak stop. Awesome views from the south end of their parking lot)

McWay Falls @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park

Nepenthe/Phoenix Shop (You can get great photos from both)

Pfeiffer Beach (A bit of a detour, but a well rewarded one)

Bixby Bridge

Garrapata State Park

Point Lobos State Reserve

Edited: 05 August 2013, 13:15
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from San Diego to San Francisco

Hi again !!!!

Most probably our way from San Diego to San Francisco will be performed with 2 night stops. One at Pismo beach or Cambria and the second at Monterey.

As far as I can imagine our trip from San Diego to San Francisco, we will be under pressure of time and thus I would appreciate is you could suggest us some key points that worth visiting on these places.

Especially after our departure from Pismo Beach or Cambria to Monterey, can you tell us some key sightseeings that worth to stop our trip (scenery and not off the beaten track (or not too much).

If it will be combined together with some food, coffee etc it will be great !!!

Thank you again for your responses

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from San Diego to San Francisco

All the sights I mentioned in Post #4 are worth a stop. You can eliminate Pfeiffer Beach since it's a bit of a detour from Highway 1 and kinda hard to find anyway.

Most definitely stop at the elephant seal rookery, McWay Falls, Nepenthe for lunch and Bixby Bridge for a photo op.

Ragged Point and Lucia are good "rest" stops, as facilities are far and few between Cambria and Carmel.

7. Re: Road trip from San Diego to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:17