We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West USA Road Trip Oct 13'-Should we pre-book accommodation?

Durban, South Africa
3 posts
Save Topic
West USA Road Trip Oct 13'-Should we pre-book accommodation?

Hi all. I am busy planning a 3 week road trip from 10 Oct 13' - 1 Nov 13' for my husband and I + another couple. We are in our late 20's.

We are starting off in Vegas for 2 nights followed by 1 night in a of the few national parks (Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell, Monument Valley and Grand Canyon.)

From there, heading to San Diego making our way up the West Coast to San Fransisco, then flying to NCY for 4 nights.

We will be booking accommodation in the major cities (Vegas, National Parks, LA, San Diego, San Fran & NYC)

Do you think that its essential that we book all the in-between 1 night stops. Ie. Phoenix, San Simeon, Monterey. Ideally we would like to keep some sense of adventure & surprise but don't want to be stuck without a place to stay or paying a fortune. Is October a busy time in these destinations?

Any further tips & advise would also be appreciated.

Thank you

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West USA Road Trip Oct 13'-Should we pre-book accommodation?

Hi

Not sure what you mean by 1 night from Las Vegas. To visit Zion, Bryce, Page (Lake Powell) and Grand Canyon form Las Vegas you easily can spend one week. If you just want to go to one of the parks I suggest to go to Grand Canyon NP south rim for that night. We always wing it but know where to go if we can/t find a place for the night and we have done those trips many times. But if you are not familiar with those place I suggest to make reservations and avoid disappointments. October is off season and a great time to visit but still many people on the road. Why do you want to go to Phoenix?

Tet

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,690 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West USA Road Trip Oct 13'-Should we pre-book accommodation?

If your travel days between SD and SF are over weekend days/nights, then your lodging should be pre-booked. Otherwise, no problem. You shouldn't have much trouble finding available lodging. Keep in mind, though, that you'll get better lodging rates IF you pre-book, especially mid week.

Durban, South Africa
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: West USA Road Trip Oct 13'-Should we pre-book accommodation?

Thank you for the replies.

Tet14, apologies - I meant to say we are spending 1 night in each of the following National Parks.

Phoenix or Lake Havasu City will be a 1 night pit stop between Grand Canyon & San Diego. I read the drive is just over 10 hours, so thought Phoenix or Lake Havasu City could be a decent midway stop. What do you suggest?

Kibblesmom, thank you - I think we will just pre-book to ensure better rates & avoid any disappointments.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West USA Road Trip Oct 13'-Should we pre-book accommodation?

Kingman or Laughlin are recommended for pitstops but it depends on what you want to see. There's a lot of R66 left. LHC is another option. Or try Sedona but Sedona to San Diego will be another 8 hours drive. It's a pretty easy drive though. If you take the route via sedona and Phoenix you can see those mighty Saguaro Cacti in the low desert.

5. Re: West USA Road Trip Oct 13'-Should we pre-book accommodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:19