We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon trip - Suggestions appreciated :)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon trip - Suggestions appreciated :)

Hi

I am planning mine and my partners honeymoon and we were thinking of going from the UK to California and wanted a bit of advice as we have never visited the US before.

We were thinking of going for around 14 nights, this would be June/July 2014

My initial thoughts were to get to California, visit LA as I would like to go to Universal Studies, visit the Grand Canyon and then end the holiday with 2-3 days in Las Vegas,

We would like to visit places but also spend a decent amount of the time on a beach, relaxing

Would this be do-able?

Any suggestions on things to see/do?

Thanks!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon trip - Suggestions appreciated :)

On top of this, I have never drove out of the UK so very nervous about driving in the US.

Would you say I would be better to get a car or would internal flights be better :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,283 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon trip - Suggestions appreciated :)

Hundreds of thousands of visitors from countries where they drive on the other side, come here and drive. We do the same in your country

Perhaps you can read the top questions in La and Orange County and see which beach area is best for you. You may need to stay in a couple of places in the La area. See Santa Monica and Orange County areas such as Laguna and Newport beaches then drive with an overnight to GC and end up from there in LV. Plan for about a week in the LA areas and then you can head west. You could also do San Diego before heading to the GC

Nottingham
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon trip - Suggestions appreciated :)

Thank you :)

I didnt mean to sound rude in regards to driving on the other side, just nervous about it :)

Will look at those suggested areas and also take a look at San Diego - Thanks again :)

Pauma Valley, CA
Level Contributor
405 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon trip - Suggestions appreciated :)

If you absolutely don't want to risk driving, you can fly Southwest Airlines to Las Vegas and then take a tour bus to the Grand Canyon. Post in some of the other LA Orange County forums to get advice on beaches. San Diego has many nice beaches also. Look at Pacific Beach and Mission Bay areas or even Coronado, if you have a big budget, The Hotel Del Coronado would be perfect for a honeymoon stay. Public transportation can be difficult in Southern California, we are all wedded to our cars, but it can be done.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,970 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon trip - Suggestions appreciated :)

I drove on the left side in London and it was weird but I got used to it (sort of). It didn't help that I couldn't figure out what the sign with the triangle on it meant (I think it meant that the road had traffic in only one direction cuz one time I found myself facing another car whose driver was quite annoyed that I was there). Add to that, cars are parked facing both directions on both sides of the road -- very strange.

I don't think you'll find driving here any different than driving anywhere else where the cars are on the right side (not left) side of the road. You might fly to a neighboring country and try it out there, Enjoy a weekend in Malaga/Costa del Sol and see how you like it then you'll know whether you'll need to fly or drive domestically whilst in the U.S.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon trip - Suggestions appreciated :)

OK, many of your places are public transit friendly, including the Hollywood/Downtown LA area, Anaheim and San Diego, and there is good train service between the three areas. A cheap flight from Southern California to Las Vegas is easy to find. (Multiple Airports and airlines).

Las Vegas is another transit friendly area, and as mentioned easy to find a tour to the Grand Canyon, but try and get to the MAIN Grand Canyon area.

So you can opt for a rental car and drive for part or all of your trip, rely on public/mass transit only, or do a combination.

I would start with a basic plan by day, what you want to see and do, and then figure out how to get around.

Here are some good official tourist websites that talk/show what is available.

www.discoverlosangeles.com

www.visittheoc.com

www.sandiego.org

http://www.lvcva.com/

Have fun in planning your honeymoon, and best wishes for the wedding.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon trip - Suggestions appreciated :)

Thank you all for your suggestions :)

I have a rough idea of our plans

3 Days San Francisco

Within these 3 days, we would like to do a vineyard tour in Napa as well as a tour around Alcatraz

6 Days LA

Id like to do the Universal Studios Tour and then a few things around the area IE beaches

3 Days LV

with hopefully a tour to Grand Canyon

3 days New York

My Fiancée has always wanted to go to New York so thought it would be ideal for her to go.

We are flexible on days as nothing is booked yet.

I will check them links out and get some serious planning down. I am initially worried about driving and have thought about flights but I do think I will have missed a great opportunity of I dont drive :)

8. Re: Honeymoon trip - Suggestions appreciated :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 05:18