We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwoods

Yellowstone...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Redwoods

Any info on Redwoods & Grand canyon camping? My fiance & I work in Yellowstone & planned on road tripping in between seasons. Season ends Oct 9th & starts back again mid Dec. Any help would be very much appreciated

Lasting Adventures
Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Desert Adventures Red Jeep Tours & Events
Beer Tastings & Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours
Malibu Wine Hikes
Walking Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Hiking & Camping Tours
Yosemite Family Adventures
Private Tours, Night Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redwoods

of course you would want to go to the Grand Canyon board to talk about camping there. They do have a large camping area, but it's set back from the rim. You could pool your funds and treat yourselves to a room on the rim. Best view in the world.

There are numerous state and county parks in CA that have camp sites in the redwoods. I strongly recommend it.. Nothing like camping under redwoods and watching dawn beak on the trees through your tent skylight. Which reminds me that you will need either a tent or a camper. None of this sleeping in your car or on the picnic table. There is also camping in the redwood national park near the Oregon border, but I think that this is too far removed from the thrill of the Bay Area. Go to the state park web site and look at Taylor, Butano, Big Basin, Cowell, Portola parks, all within an hour of San Jose or SF. There are also campgrounds created by the National Forest Service, bit these are not as well run as the state parks. There is a book by Tom Stienstra that covers every conceivable camp in the state. Well worth buying so you won't miss anything. At that time of year you may well be able to drive into any park you want, except maybe weekends at the more popular ones.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redwoods

Redwoods: two main kinds. Coastal redwoods (Sequoia sempervirons) and Giant Sequoias (Sequoiadendron).

The coastal redwoods are tall - very tall. If I'm not mistaken, they include the tallest trees in existence. Their habitat is nearer the coast, often foggy, dense, with very little growing on the forest floor as they form a dense canopy.

The Giant Sequoias are in the Sierra Nevada. Those are the ones where you can stand your whole village in front and the tree is bigger than your group. Or drive your car on top (at least, you could do that until a few years back when they closed poor old Auto Log). They are very old. One downed giant near Auto Log is estimated to be 2,300 years old and some are older. They are huge. They too are tall, but not as tall as the Coastal Redwoods, but they are overall much bigger. They grow only above approximately 5000 feet in altitude, in ferny glens and around meadows. Deer, bear and many kinds of squirrels run around in their habitat (you'll see squirrels and deer along the coast too, but not many bears - although raccoons are common in parts of the redwood area - like Big Basin).

Both types of redwoods are amazing.

Grand Canyon is in Arizona, ;-) It's probably a 14 hour drive to the North Rim from Yellowstone. The South Rim is the classic view, but for much of the year (closed in late fall until late spring) the North Rim beckons to visitors who want a more remote, solitary experience (plan to camp unless you can afford the one lodge at North Rim - South Rim has more accommodations). South Rim also has lots of campsites.

I'm not sure why DHauk says you can't sleep in your car or on your picnic table. There are no rules against this in the parks (state or national) as long as you have paid for your site and are legally parked. We sleep every which we we feel like - sometimes on the ground without a tent (that can be really interesting in SNP, we've done it several times), sometimes in the car (we did for our first few nights in Yellowstone, actually, until we got over our fear of grizzlies). It's nice to have a tent, though. Can get cold at altitude.

Have slept outright on a picnic table (both in the daytime and in the evening), out of sheer exhaustion, at Grand Canyon, actually (both on the rim and in the Canyon). No one said a thing about it nor do the rules ban it. I can't remember why I thought that was a good idea at the time (was I worried about ants? scorpions?) as usually the ground is a little roomier. Maybe it was because I saw other people doing it.

3. Re: Redwoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 06:22