We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California & Arizona road trip

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
16 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
California & Arizona road trip

Hi,

I'm planning a 2 weeks road trip for October (5th to 19th) with my girlfriend starting in LA and finishing in San Francisco. A possible schedule is:

Los Angeles 2.5 days (5th to 8th)and half day drive to

Grand Canyon 1 full day (8th night until 10th morning)

Antelope Canyon afternoon visit (10th afternoon)

Las Vegas two nights/one day (10th night -12th morning)

Death Valley one full day (12th midday - leave 13th afternoon)

Yosemite two days (13th night until 16th morning)

San Francisco 2.5 days and go back to UK

However I am not so sure if Death Valley needs a full day (sleeping there), 2 nights in Las Vegas would be too much, I am spending too few time in San Francisco or even shaving a day from here and there and go to Monument Valley between the Grand Canyon and Antelope Canyon... it might also be that I am missing many things...

Any ideas?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California & Arizona road trip

You can only do so much in two weeks. I think you have planned too many locations and will not really get a sense of any of them. Of *course* you are missing many things. The western part of the US is very large and you cannot begin to even sample part of it in two weeks.

If you do not want to have a "driving-driving" trip I would seriously cut the destinations to allow yourself time to stop and see the most important to you, not just drive up, have a look-see, and then go on your way.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California & Arizona road trip

Why do you think the drive from LA to Grand Canyon is a half-day? According to Google Maps, it's 7 hours with NO breaks... that makes it a full (long) day of driving in my mind. I would review all your driving times, as it seems to me that you're spending most of your time in the car.

As another example, if you don't overnight in Death Valley, the drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite is 6-1/2 hours, again WITHOUT any breaks, sightseeing, meals, scenic detours, etc. So unless you finish the drive in the dark, you really will only have driven through Death Valley, not visited it.

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
16 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California & Arizona road trip

Thanks for the advice, yes I am planning to arrive in time for sleep in Grand Canyon, spend a full day there and leave the following day. For Death Valley the approach is similar but even though I would be spending quite a lot of time driving, so it might be reasonable to drop something.

I like monuments, nice views and hiking, knowing so... do you have any advice about what would be more reasonable to drop? First thoughts are:

- Spending less time in Las Vegas

- Dropping Antelope Canyon

- Drop Grand Canyon (if needed)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California & Arizona road trip

Spend less time in Las Vegas. I wouldn't drop the Grand Canyon.

You will be here at the time when fall colors are appearing on many of the trees, particularly in the region between Death Valley and Yosemite.

For a map of where fall colors are typically found, download this: www.monocounty.org/docs/FallColorGuide.pdf

Daily updates are at http://californiafallcolor.com

For a travelogue of that area (though the trees were still green) see travelswithbillandnancy.com/eastern_sierras.…

The big thing your trip is still missing is the California coast. See this travelogue posted by another member of this forum: https:/…5621071823861282305

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
16 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California & Arizona road trip

Hi,

I've been told the trip all along the Pacific coast is very nice, but can't do everything in two weeks. In order to stop along it would be like two days and I agree with some of the people in the forum that I might be already spending too much time on the car and too few actually visiting the west.

I take note of your suggestion of shortening time in Las Vegas rather than the Grand Canyon though.

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far, you are helping me :)

6. Re: California & Arizona road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:22