We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

california in february

Lincs
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
california in february

I have 3 weeks holiday to take in February. I would like to visit california. I like hiking, jogging , cycling, strolling, shopping. Where would be a good base ? and where for the best weather at that time of year?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: california in february

Lincs....Lincolnshire, UK ????

Hiking, Jogging, cycling, strolling, and shopping can be found all throughout this huge state. Best weather in February is a very vague statement. For skiiers best weather means light fluffy snow and cold temps, for hikers you're looking at cool days and good chances of rain. Beach weather? Look into the southern areas like San Diego.

Are you thinking of hiring a car? Do you have any budget constraints? Are you interested in amusement parks?

Dr. Z

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: california in february

As mentioned, just about anywhere. Southern Cal would be best for weather. Car is important. Only thing to consider is that the Sonora and Tioga passes will be closed if planning to cross the mountains. Come back with the info requested for details. Budget in dollars...not adjectives.

Lincs
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: california in february

Didn't mention skiing so why would I be interested in snow? No mention of beaches either so not planning on spending time there

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: california in february

Fresno is the place for you.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,542 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: california in february

>>I like hiking<<

Many folks who enjoy hiking like to snowshoe in the winter. You can try out this activity in Yosemite National Park's Badger Pass for a donation, usually $5.

>>and where for the best weather at that time of year?<<

It's great weather in the mountains ... sunshine, snowstorms, and a good temperature to hold the snow firm. That's my idea of "best" weather.

But I'm not sure what you're seeking. Maybe you'd prefer the usually dry weather in Death Valley NP and some of the hikes in that area. Or maybe you'd like the moderate temperatures in Southern California or the Mediterranean climate in San Francisco.

>>Where would be a good base?<<

Are you hoping to stay in one location for the entire 3 weeks and to take day trips? Consider San Diego, Orange County, or Los Angeles. You'd have access to hiking trails, cycling paths, jogging routes, strolling opportunities, and oodles of shopping.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: california in february

It would be helpful of OP to post that they have already enjoyed a winter holiday in Palm Desert, CA.

Otherwise we might make the mistake of recommending that destination.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,737 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: california in february

I was going to suggest Palm Springs, as a matter of fact. No snow, no beach. Good weather, hikes, Palm Springs and Desert Hills Premium shopping outlets.

8. Re: california in february

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 07:19