We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast Road trip RV or Car?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
West Coast Road trip RV or Car?

Hey we are 4 adults planning the west coast drive in October 2014 we plan to hire a RV and take in as much as possible over 10 days we want to visit :

LA

Las Vegas

San Francisco

San Diego

Places we have in mind are:

Alcatraz, San Diego zoo, Vegas, Disney, Universal, San Francisco and some beaches and maybe some celeb hunting i understand there is loads to do within these cities so we are still trying to work out what to see and how we will get about?

Bus tours? public transport, taxi cabs?

We plan to finish up with 5 days in Hawaii to rest

Would anyone have any ideas or advice, we know we won't fit it all in but would like to see as much as possible on the west coast.

Would getting about be a problem in a RV?

We are leaving from LAX to San Fran then back to LAX 10 days

1. Would getting around the be an issue in a RV (especially within the main tourist spots)

2. Fuel Cost i estimate to be around $700 - $800

3. Parking i hear the RV hook ups are difficult to book and outside the main attractions - how do we get about after we park up?

4. We would have to get from LAX to the RV place to pick it up, then stay at a hotel for around 3 nights in between out trip as we hope to travel to Hawaii.

It's so difficult as we really like the idea of the RV as in one hand it seems we would have more time to get about but on the other the worry is can we get about?

Please help!!!

Edited: 18 August 2013, 21:57
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Coast Road trip RV or Car?

<<Would getting about be a problem in a RV?>>

It certainly would be in SF. There is no suitable RV parking in SF and those that are outside the city are not in convenient places to use as a base.

Base on your itinerary I wouldn't recommend an RV.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,879 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Coast Road trip RV or Car?

I am really not clear why you feel you need an RV to visit cities, for the most part.

A car would better suit your needs.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Coast Road trip RV or Car?

A RV will be a PITA in big cities. Also suggest to rent a car. Also, you can't rent a RV immediately. You'll have to sleep overnight first after an intercontinental flight and picking up an RV and buy groceries will add to the time. The drop off of a RV usually is in the morning.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,766 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Coast Road trip RV or Car?

Another vote for a rental car. This is a very fast paced car-centric itinerary. An RV itinerary would include most of the time out in nature.

10 days = 9 nights

With a car...

LAX - L.A. (2-3 nights) - San Diego (2 nights) - Pismo Beach (1 n) - Monterey (1 n) - San Francisco (2-3 n, drop car when you arrive, fly out of SFO) No time for Las Vegas or Anaheim/Disneyland.

LAX - L.A. (2-3 n) - San Diego (2 n) - desert drive to Las Vegas (2 n) - fly from LAS to SFO, taxi to SF (2-3 n) No time for the Hwy 1 coast or for Anaheim/Disneyland

LAX - L.A. - Anaheim - San Diego - Las Vegas - L.A. / LAX No time for San Francisco.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 22:20
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West Coast Road trip RV or Car?

I see nothing on your list that even hints at an RV being useful to you. An RV would be a very expensive inconvenience. In fact, in San Francisco a car is not advisable either. It will cost you 35 to 50 dollars a day to park a car. An RV in the city is downright laughable.

I would either start or finish my trip in San Francisco. Pick up the car when you leave the city or drop it off when you come into the city. You do not want a car in San Francisco.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West Coast Road trip RV or Car?

Hi Tina C and welcome to the forums. I've been RVing for many years!

I have to agree that for your trip, a motorhome would NOT be your best option. I think you will be much better off with a comfortable car or SUV for the four of you. You can find lodging that will have two queen size beds and ensuite that will be much more comfortable than a motorhome.

Many mid range motels include breakfast and they often have refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms, so you could even fix some basic meals.

RVs have their uses, and many visitors do rent them and enjoy them. But your trip is not a good plan for one!

For more general information about renting motorhomes, please click on the blue link below:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c187230/Califo…

7. Re: West Coast Road trip RV or Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 06:23