We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fra to LA by car

Pescara
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
San Fra to LA by car

Hello!!!

We are 2 girls driving from San Francisco to LA. Mid of September..for 2 weeks.

I need some suggestion because I'm getting so many ideas and I'm cofused :/

-San Francisco 3 days

-San Francisco/Monterey- whale watch (spend one night here)

-Monterey...to where? I would like to go to Death Valley instead of Yosemite...but someone told me is not good this season... What do you guys think? If so How much should I stay in Death Valley? Do I need a full day?

-If not Death Valley, then I could go to Yosemite...and again...1 day is enough for a quick visit?

-Death Valley or Yosemite to Las Vegas...

-Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/ Antelope Canyon. Do you think is better join a 1 or 2 days tour or driving there? Seems to be quite an hard drive and we are two girls...what should we do? Suggestions for tour eventually?

-Las Vegas/San Diego 2 days

-San Diego/ Santa Monica/ Laguna beach 1 night

-Los Angeles 2 days

If any of you can help me to figure out what's the best to do I will appreciate :)))

THANKS!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fra to LA by car

Average high temp in September at Furnace Creek (DV) in September is 107F; average low 76F. Too high for some, not for others. You need to map out your driving time each day. Use Google Maps, ,Mapquest, etc. Yosemite for a day? Too quick for some, not for others. For either DV or Yosemite, make sure in advance you can get reservations for accommodations. They fill in advance. In Death Valley, if you want to stay in the park, your choices are Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells. The Panamint Springs "Resort" is at the edge of the park, but in Panamint Valley, not Death Valley itself.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 12:29
Mentioned in this post
Furnace Creek Campground
Furnace Creek Campground
71 Reviews
Death Valley National Park, CA
Panamint Springs Resort
Panamint Springs Resort
738 Reviews
Death Valley National Park, CA
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fra to LA by car

p.s."-San Diego/ Santa Monica/ Laguna beach" covers quite a distance, well over 100 miles. Suggest you narrow down where you stay. Driving time between these places, especially with traffic, could be a few hours.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,008 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fra to LA by car

A basic drive might be SF - Monterey - Cambria - South Entrance of Yosemite NP to Yosemite Valley - Tioga Pass Entrance from Yosemite NP to eastern Sierra to Bishop or Lone Pine - drive thru visit of Death Valley NP - Las Vegas - South Rim Grand Canyon NP - long drive to San Diego - L.A.

I am assuming that you are adults who don't mind long driving days. >>Seems to be quite an hard drive and we are two girls.<< If you are young girls and you're worried about this, don't do it. If you're adults who want a road trip, then it's feasible. I'd definitely spend more than one night in San Francisco, Yosemite, San Diego, and Los Angeles.

Details about the coastal drive and the drive from Yosemite to Las Vegas are in the Top Questions on the right side of this page (full TripAdvisor website, not the app.)

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,746 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
997 Reviews
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
469 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Bishop
Bishop
California
Lone Pine
Lone Pine
California Desert, CA
Grand Canyon South Rim
Grand Canyon South Rim
20,371 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,331 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fra to LA by car

Las Vegas/San Diego 2 days

-San Diego/ Santa Monica/ Laguna beach 1 night

I think the best thing you should do is go to maps.google.com and map it all out. We see people wanting to do quick trips but is that your travel style half a day to see a place ? Say you go to Yosemite from SF or Monterey, you will spend about 4 hours driving there and get the rest to see a place one can take 2-3 days to a week to explore. San Diego or La also take 3-4 days to see. Is this just a drive through and see the city in the car trip ?

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
LA
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fra to LA by car

I don't know why Death Valley wouldn't be "good this season". It will be the same persistently hot temperature it normally is. It's not as if DV gets wet or dry seasons.

Mentioned in this post
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Fra to LA by car

DV is not hot all year. In December, the average high is 65F, the average low 38. weather.com/weather/…USCA9041

LA
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: San Fra to LA by car

True.

OP's trip is in September.

Pescara
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Fra to LA by car

THANKS for your messages...

Ok...about San Diego and LA I wrote wrong. I'll have 2 nights in San Diego, 1 maybe in Santa Monica and 2 nights in LA. Like that should be fine :)

@PacificNVfamily We are 2 girls 27/30 years old so you're might right. I'm afraid get to Grand Canyon and Antelope Canyon by car will be too hard....

You mentioned "A basic drive might be SF - Monterey - Cambria - South Entrance of Yosemite NP to Yosemite Valley - Tioga Pass Entrance from Yosemite NP to eastern Sierra to Bishop or Lone Pine - drive thru visit of Death Valley NP - Las Vegas - South Rim Grand Canyon NP - long drive to San Diego - L.A." but If I add Antelope then I will need more time right? What should I do in case I decide to avoid one of these parks going to Antelope ones in Grand Canyon?

@Belomiser I definitively don't want to have a trip car :) I would love to see all I can but still I need to stop and enjoy the beauty of those places. I would spend 2 days in one of these parks.

Which park between DV and YOS do you suggest? I don't think I have time for both...in my mind my priority was DV and I'm ok with the temperatures... but which one do you think I can't miss it at all?

Thanks!!!!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,746 Reviews
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
997 Reviews
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
469 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Bishop
Bishop
California
Lone Pine
Lone Pine
California Desert, CA
Grand Canyon South Rim
Grand Canyon South Rim
20,371 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
9. Re: San Fra to LA by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:19