We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJ to SD on I-5 - breakfast stop

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,461 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
SJ to SD on I-5 - breakfast stop

Hey everybody - My husband and I will be driving down to San Diego (from San Jose) on I-5 soon. We plan to leave SJ about 6 or 7 am and would like to stop for breakfast somewhere about 3 hours down the road. Any recommendations? It doesn't have to be fancy, but someplace where we can sit down would be great. I haven't driven I-5 in several years, so I don't remember what's out there except a whole lot of nothingness :-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,129 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SJ to SD on I-5 - breakfast stop

Harris ranch perhaps. That has a restaurant which we visited many years ago. If you drive at Ca speeds perhaps you can get there in 90 minutes :-) or 2 hours if you get stuck behind a car on the Pacheco pass

Others may know places south of that but we don't stop

Edited: 22 August 2013, 19:57
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,302 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SJ to SD on I-5 - breakfast stop

We just stop at Buttonwillow and get fast food when we do that drive. I don't know of a relaxing sit down place unless you go away from the highway into town . We don't like to take time to do that.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,461 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SJ to SD on I-5 - breakfast stop

Thanks. Harris Ranch sounds like a good bet.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: SJ to SD on I-5 - breakfast stop

I've both stayed at and eaten at Harris Ranch a number of times, it is right off the 5 so not a far drive at all. The only other place I have eaten on on the 5 is Pea Soup Anderson's in Santa Nella but not for breakfast.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SJ to SD on I-5 - breakfast stop

Other than Harris Ranch, it's still pretty much a whole lot of nothingness, interspersed with truck stop chains. Good luck!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,461 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SJ to SD on I-5 - breakfast stop

I've been to Pea Soup Andersons too, but it is only about an hour from our house, so I wanted to get farther down the road first. The plan is to get coffee first thing to tide us over until breakfast, stop for a good breakfast and then be good through LA. We plan to stop and hang out in San Clemente for a bit and then continue onto SD.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SJ to SD on I-5 - breakfast stop

Willow Ranch at Buttonwillow is another good option. It's a bit farther down I-5 (near Bakersfield) and would be a little closer to your target of 3 hours on the road.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SJ to SD on I-5 - breakfast stop

There is now a Dennys at Kettleman City.

Bravo Farms should be opening in coming weeks at Kettleman City also. They'll have a café plus an ice cream parlor, cheese factory, etc.

Pictures of their under construction building (resembling an old west town) at:

http://www.bravofarmstraver.com/new.html

9. Re: SJ to SD on I-5 - breakfast stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 05:17