We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which part of California for kids?

dc
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
which part of California for kids?

Kids are 14 and 11. We have never been to California, want to go next summer. Want a resort with pool slides and lots of things to go and see and do.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,004 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which part of California for kids?

"lots of things to go and see and do." = the entire state

Pool weather could be in a variety of places in Southern California. Lots to see & do.

One part of the state is Central California, but not so much to see & do.

Palm Springs & Death Valley will be really hot.

====

What kinds of things do you enjoy doing? Are you planning to stay at one hotel for the entire vacation or do you want to see more of the state?

Try reading the relevant Top Questions & Trip Ideas on the right side of the page (full TripAdvisor website, not the app.)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,344 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which part of California for kids?

Resorts with pool slides are few but as PNWF mentioned Palm Springs and the Carlsbad area near San Diego and perhaps a few in the LA area will have slides. If you are looking for resorts with plenty of pools et al, you may want to hit Hawaii.

Time to really do some research and find out what you want to do and see -- beaches, national parks, theme parks, museums, hiking,

Edited: 30 August 2013, 15:26
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,171 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which part of California for kids?

California has a LOT to offer with a variety of things to see/do.

Most people do some touring activities and then spend some time relaxing.

Depending on how much time you have for this trip you may want a 2 point vacation.

Let us know how many days you are considering and the sorts of activities your family might enjoy.

Here in San Diego the Hyatt Mission Bay has pool slides. The best rooms there are in the tower.

In San Diego County north of the city the Omni La Costa Resort also has pools with slides.

You haven't mentioned your budget so I don't know if these would be OK.

There are certainly many activities/sights that you could do/see in this area!!

http://www.lacosta.com/pools-and-waterslides/

missionbay.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Edited: 30 August 2013, 15:39
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which part of California for kids?

We have been to 2 Resorts with pools and slides and liked them. Both happen to be Hyatts (like them so much i bought 100 shares):

Huntington Beach: smores on the beach, spa, surfing lessons, water slides, Disneyland nearby tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32513-d252509-…

Mission Bay: water slides, San Diego zoo and Sea World nearby, fire pit for smores and boats available (stay in the newer section) tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d80193-R…

Thre are also standalone water slides which are bigger and badder than hotel ones (eg Raging waters) and it may be fun to stay nearby and just go ro the waterslides too

Level Contributor
34,712 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which part of California for kids?

San Diego would be a great place to base, there are lots of fun things to do in Southern CA including Disneyland which is not to miss! :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,344 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which part of California for kids?

I may have interpreted syrahgirl's post wrong but as I read it, SD as a base to see SoCal is her suggestion

I don't think San Diego is a great place to base if you want to do Disneyland or any of the LA county or Orange County sites or theme parks. It could take just under 2 hours without traffic to get there. However I agree that San Diego is a great base to see SD and there are plenty of things for kids in the Southland

Edited: 30 August 2013, 16:19
dc
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: which part of California for kids?

We just did 2 weeks at Disney World (Florida) and Universal Studios. We also did Disney World last year. I am hoping to stay away from Disney (even in California). My kids love nature so i wanted a part where we can do some hiking etc (They do not like the beach). I was thinking Palm Springs looks pretty nice and they have resorts with slides. I am thinking i will stay for about 11 days or so, one resort only.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,171 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which part of California for kids?

Palm Springs will be over 100 deg. every day in summer! I think right now it is 108 or so!!

There's a lot of nature to explore in San Diego County and in other parts of the state but needing a resort with water slides will stop you from going to places like Yosemite National Park.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,004 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which part of California for kids?

My niece and nephew had a grand time sliding down the smooth rocks (cascades) in the South Fork of the Merced River in Yosemite. Those are natural water slides.

I can't imagine staying in one place in California for 11 days as a first time visitor.

dc
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: which part of California for kids?

Wow that sounds like fun. My kids cant swim, are the waters shallow?