We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please with what to pack for trip in early November !

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Help please with what to pack for trip in early November !

Hi

We are planning a trip to California in the first week of November, LA, San Diego and San Francisco, we will also be visiting Arizona (Flagstaff), and Las Vegas. I obviously want to keep my luggage as light as possible, but don't want to stand out as an obvious tourist (although that might be difficult seeing I have a very English accent !!). I have been to California before, but that was in August and I just packed summer clothes/sandals - obviously I would assume the temperature in November will be a lot cooler ?

What i would like to know is:-

1. Are the temperatures in the above similar - or am I going to have to pack two sets of clothes for warmer weather in LA/San Diego and cooler in San Francisco ?

2. What should I pack for day wear ? We will be doing a lot of sight seeing, some by foot, and some by car.

3. What should I pack for night time - especially footwear (ie. can I get away with leather or suede ankle boots or will it be too hot !).

Any help from anyone would be very much appreciated - I don't want to be lugging a vast suitcase around with me (which is what usually happens !).

Thanks in advance

Tracy

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,697 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please with what to pack for trip in early November !

It won't be too hot at night for your boots.

Always think layers! Something for night and early morning if it is cool.

Wear a jacket onto the plane so you don't have to pack it.

I would bring a little of everything as it can be warm(but not HOT) in the daytime and then cool/cold at night.

Flagstaff can have snow. You won't need any fancy dress up clothing.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,872 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please with what to pack for trip in early November !

It won't be hot, it could be rainy and cool. Bring layers (tee shirt under a sweater) and definitely a jacket.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,655 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please with what to pack for trip in early November !

You are traveling over 600 miles and think of it as the distance from London to Milan and as you can imagine the weather will be different. As Riff M mentioned, layers are advised. This part of the state is not formal and unless you are going to some nicer restaurants, business casual dress is ok.

I presume you are going to do a lot of walking so wearing comfortable shoes would help. If you had visited SF in August, summer clothes and sandals would not have helped.

The weather around the world is changing so it is hard to predict. You can look at the 10 day forecast before you leave at www.weatherunderground.com and see the highs and lows and plan for that

Edited: 11 September 2013, 16:17
Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please with what to pack for trip in early November !

Thank you everyone for your quick replies - much appreciated.

Basically, I think the weather will be pretty similar to what we are experiencing in Manchester here at the moment, so I will take the suggestion of layering and packing a little of everything - so glad I can wear my ankle boots !

On my last trip to California I was in Santa Monica in August not San Francisco - it was 25 years ago (although it doesn't seem that long !), and all I can remember wearing are shorts and t-shirts ! Those were the days - the older I get the more I seem to pack ! At least I know that the USA is the one place in the world I can travel where if I forget something I can easily pick it up from the malls !

Thank you again - your help much appreciated.

Tracy

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please with what to pack for trip in early November !

Flagstaff will be the coldest place on your trip, averaging 55 F (13 C) for the afternoon high and 25 F (-3.3 C) for the nightly low in early November. About the same at the rim of the Grand Canyon if you go there. So you will definitely need a warm jacket for that, preferably a hooded one, and I would also recommend gloves since they don't take up much space.

The rest of the places will be warmer than that. It is not likely to be hot, unless there is a Santa Ana Condition prevailing, in which case southern California will be clear, dry, sunny, hot and windy. Or, if a winter-type storm is in California, it could be cool and rainy, so I would pack an umbrella. If neither one of those two conditions is in effect, it will be pleasant, with Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas averaging afternoon highs in the low 70s F; San Francisco about 65 F, and Palm Springs reliably warm with afternoons in the low 80s F. Nights will be cooler everywhere though, so you will still need that jacket if going out at night. Dress in layers so that you can adapt to changing conditions.

6. Re: Help please with what to pack for trip in early November !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 05:17