We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations on a good central hotel in LA

Roosevelt,Utah...
2 posts
Save Topic
Recommendations on a good central hotel in LA

I'm going to be in LA next week and I'm trying to find a good hotel for somewhere around $80-100. We're flying into LAX and going to spend two days there while we hit Universal Studios. I'm trying to avoid renting a car because it will save us a couple hundred dollars so I'm looking for a hotel that is close enough that we could get a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and maybe a train/shuttle from the hotel to Universal. I'm so unfamiliar with the area, so hopefully someone can help me. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
30,985 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,326 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations on a good central hotel in LA

$80 to $100 is a near impossibility in Los Angeles, and if you want to be near Universal Studios and other tourist attractions, you won't find a hotel with a shuttle from the airport. You could look in Hollywood, but I believe even the Motel 6 in Hollywood will be more money that you're willing to spend. I recommend look there first, as you can just take the Metro Red Line subway train one stop to Universal Studios and be near transportation to other parts of the city. You don't want to stay at the airport, so you're best bet would be to use something like Super Shuttle to the hotel from LAX.

If you're willing to stay in a hostel, you will have better luck in that price range.

(you should have posted this in the Los Angeles forum rather than the forum for California)

Edited: 12 September 2013, 19:30
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
30,985 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Metro Hotel
The Metro Hotel
531 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco Shuttle Tours
San Francisco Shuttle...
1,038 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations on a good central hotel in LA

There are plenty of options around $80, I would start with the Hollywood area for good public transit and central.

What I would do is go to the TripAdvisor Hotel Review page for Hollywood. (Link below). Enter your dates of travel, and then search Prices Low to High (instead of ranking). The look at the reviews and specific location, and find something you would be comfortable with at the price.

tripadvisor.com/Hollywood-Hotels-Los_Angeles…

I found 5 on the list using the Tuesday thru Friday of next week at $75 or less, but you need to add taxes.

As said, hard to get a free shuttle, the LAX Flyaway bus goes from LAX to Union Station in Downtown LA for $7 each way, then you can use the LA Metro Red Line Subway system to get to Hollywood, so I would look for a Hotel/Motel near a station.

…metro.net/riding_metro/…802.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
LAX FlyAway
LAX FlyAway
143 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Metro Hotel
The Metro Hotel
531 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,326 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations on a good central hotel in LA

Problem is, DB, I wouldn't recommend most of those hotels, especially when the OP said GOOD hotel.

4. Re: Recommendations on a good central hotel in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:20