We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Vancouver to USA

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Vancouver to USA

We have three weeks in March 2014, two children ages 4 and 8. We would like help with a trip.

Travel thru Washington, Oregon, to California visit San Diego Zoo and then possibly Grand Canyon/Bryce Canyon or Yosemite. Thanks.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,260 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Vancouver to USA

It sounds like you're just planning to travel through Washington and Oregon on I-5, stopping for the night before entering California. Are you kids patient with long drives?

Is 3 weeks for a round trip? Are you planning to just zip back up to Vancouver after visiting California?

Do you also want to visit San Francisco? Los Angeles? Anaheim / Disneyland? What is really on your "must see" or "must do" list for your family?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,428 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Vancouver to USA

Welcome to Trip Advisor Forum. There are dozens of guide books written on this part of the West so it is hard for strangers to just come up with plans without you doing some research and coming back with your draft itinerary. The only thing I see in CA is the Zoo and YNP. You can map it out in maps.google.com and map a route out. Each state has Top Questions on what to see and do in that state please read that

There is a road trips forum to help you plan your overall itinerary as you are planning to visit 5 or so states in the us. But please do some research, read the TQs and post on that forum.

We work best when visitors read, do research and then post what their likes and dislikes are One can easily spend 3 weeks just in Ca or 3 weeks between WA and OR and NorCal but with you wanting to do 5 states (well some NPs) you may want to be selective

You are used to the snow in Vancouver so you should know that March in the GC may be cold and parts may have snow. YNP may also have some roads that need chains

Good luck

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,958 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Vancouver to USA

Hi pat f and welcome to TripAdvisor. I would also suggest you post on both the Washington and Oregon forums, since you'll be going through there -- and also on the Road Trips forums.

Click on the blue link below to find the forums home page. In the right column you'll see the Road Trips forum, and on the left click on the Unted States to get a list of the state forums:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome

With three weeks, you'll have time see tings without being too rushed. I might suggest that you concentrate on just the three states and save Grand Canyon/Bryce for another time. Bryce will be *extremely* cold in March as it is at such a high elevation!

Are there other attractions or locations you'd like to visit?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,260 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Vancouver to USA

I can see that we're all interpreting the Original Post slightly differently. I imagine a 3 week trip with 2 full days spent getting TO California and 2 full days spent getting FROM California back to Vancouver. So it's just over 2 weeks spent in California.

But maybe it's a coastal drive down where the weather is more moderate and the Original Poster wants to enjoy a more leisurely trip.

Hmmm. Hope to hear back soon.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,428 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Vancouver to USA

I agree. I cannot imagine why someone would want to spend time in Washington or Oregon

I am going to run away really really fast before i get beaten up

Kidding aside -- it is hard to know when someone says form Vancouver to USA and then has mentioned 5 states. If One looks at PNWF's interpretation, I would fly to CA and see the 3 states and do the other two states by car some other time. So much to see in both WA and OR.

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Vancouver to USA

Hello,

Thank you all so much for such prompt replies. So, we have learned so much from your replies, and realize that our questions were vague! We were both so excited as having just retired and ready to take grandchildren on an adventure.... so back to the 'drawing board' and will post a rather clearer picture of our hopeful itinerary at a later date. Thank you again.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,212 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Vancouver to USA

With your itinerary you need at least 5 weeks. At least.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,958 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Vancouver to USA

But, as post #4 points out, we don't really know what the itinerary is!

Please do post again, pat f, once you've decided a rough plan :-)

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,048 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Vancouver to USA

But dont wait too long to post! Places like the Grand Canyon and Yosemite book up very quickly, so you'll need to get on that.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Vancouver to USA

Besides a detailed itinerary...plus a list of prioritized interests...a budget...in dollars not adjectives helps. That way folks can make relevant recommendations as to hotels.