We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking camping for a month in Cali

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking camping for a month in Cali

My partner and I wanted to do the california section of the pacific crest trail but due to timing we fly in on the 23rd of September and most of it will be too snowy by then. Wondering if there are any good trails or areas that span a considerable distance that are alright to do during the month of october? I've found lots of shorter ones but we really want to thru hike somewhere and just escape for a month. Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,784 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking camping for a month in Cali

If you're open to hiking & backpacking in Nevada, Arizona, or New Mexico, ask on that Backpacker magazine forum I suggested.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking camping for a month in Cali

I don't even know where to begin. One month - of relative solitude - but not where there's chance of snow in October?

The Pacific Coast trail will not be isolated (but you could walk for a month, I'm thinking - and find plenty of places to replenish food along the way).

californiacoastaltrail.info/cms/…index.html

You will not have this to yourselves, by any means (and finding places to camp all along the way might be somewhat challenging - I don't know; we do much shorter trips in the Sierras and canyon lands...I can't imagine doing a month!)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,570 posts
5,484 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking camping for a month in Cali

What snow?

its september 21 - there is no snow in our forecast.....

so either you are bringing your own or just go hiking as planned.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,755 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking camping for a month in Cali

Yes I was wondering about the snow part. I don't even think the leaves are changing color yet up in the Sierras in late Sept.

LA
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking camping for a month in Cali

Their original plan was to hike the PCT from Tahoe to Tehachapi.

Between Tahoe and Mt. Whitney, the minimum trail elevation is about 7234 and the maximum elevation is about 13,137.

This weekend, the freezing level in the southern Sierras near Mammoth will be 9,000 ft. The lows are expected to be in the high 20's. This first storm may bring some light snow to the backcountry, but this is only late September. Four more weeks can easily bring another couple of wet storms.

http://mammothweather.com/

http://www.postholer.com/databook/elev.php

Edited: 21 September 2013, 06:12
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,570 posts
5,484 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking camping for a month in Cali

yes - there can be snow but this week, except for tomorrow, it looks like good weather...

Agree if they are trying to do 4 weeks of hiking on same trail - they would be better off doing a coastal hike to avoid the always predictable day or so of snow in the mountains...

californiacoastaltrail.info/cms/…index.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking camping for a month in Cali

Sorry, but if you're asking this question at this late date, I don't think you're prepared and should not attempt it. I certainly wouldn't advise a month on the PCT in October even if you knew what you're doing. I certainly wouldn't do it. There may not be snow yet, but it may well start in October, and it won't let up until June. Try a couple of days out of Tuolumne Meadows, perhaps, then maybe go down to Big Sur to Sykes Hot Springs, it should be nice there.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking camping for a month in Cali

The PCT runs thru the Laguna and Palomar mountains in San Diego County, but these mountains are not as nice as the Sierras. Based on a hiking experience in the Laguna Mountains east of San Diego, I always consider Thanksgiving (late November) as the time when winter starts to grab hold in California. I won't guarantee that you won't see snow in October in the Sierras, but it seems the average lows don't get below freezing until November. The farther north, the higher the elevation you go, and the closer you get to November, the more likely it becomes that you could get snowed on.

If you're not prepared for cold, you really shouldn't be backpacking for a month in October in the Sierras. Prepare your car for snow and park below snow levels or where you can be close to help. Start your hike below snow levels, and retreat should snow fall.

You may just have to improvise with shorter trips into the mountains. If the forecast isn't favorable, don't go. Drive to different parts of the Sierra, instead of hiking to them. Or be very prepared, know your route, or hike near a road, because the trail disappears when snows cover them, and somebody hasn't walked the trail before you. Since the October cold will scare away the less intrepid, you will find it easier to "escape" without having to out-hike them.

I hate sending people to Lake Tahoe - consider the Tahoe Rim Trail - because I want it all for myself, but Tahoe is a good destination as you can be close to civilization and be very far at the same time, if that makes sense.

Same with Yosemite. Start your trips low from the Valley, and hike into the wilderness. Don't go more than a day overnite into the back country, or be prepared for hiking in the snow, and definitely know where you are going. A GPS would be essential.

I've found some links for you to help decide. http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/ ... www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ca9855 .... www.thestormking.com/Weather/weather.html .... igluski.com/spain/sierra-nevada-snow-history… .... www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/climate.htm

LA
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking camping for a month in Cali

Mammoth Mountain forecast is 80% chance of snow on Saturday with up to 65 mph winds.

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking camping for a month in Cali

Awesome thanks