We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip up Hwy 1

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Trip up Hwy 1

Hi I am hoping to make a trip from Thousand Oaks up Hwy 1 staying three nights before returning to TO. I have been looking on th TA forums and likely spots to stop for a night seem to be Cambria or Pismo beach then Monterey or Carmel followed by a final night in Santa Cruz before heading back. I am looking for hotels within walking distance of restaurants in any of these places. Any advice much appreciated.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip up Hwy 1

Great. Now that you have read the forums and know where you are staying check the city forums. The same questions are asked everyday. Which hotel. Read through a page or two, check the hotels page, read reviews see prices and and then ask the locals if you cannot decide. One thing no one can guess is what type of hotels or B&B you are looking for and for how many and your nightly budget

Have fun

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip up Hwy 1

I have looked at those but it is often unclear where the hotels are situated and whether there are restaurants within walking distance. I guess I have asked in the wrong place. Thanks for your condescending answer.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip up Hwy 1

Condescending ?

I said great because you had done research and read the top questions. I also mentioned have fun on the drive

Perhaps you are reading something that was quite the opposite

You posted in the California forum which is to plan the overall itinerary and now each city forum has the info you need so the advise that I gave was to look at the forum posts in each city and the at hotels and post in those forums with your budget. If there is an issue wrt where the hotels are in a city, there are maps in the TA hotels section and the local DEs can help you

Before you post, TA also suggests you post your likes dislikes and your budget.

If you think the advise I gave you is not correct, well then please ignore it.

Again have fun during your trip and hope you have a great day !!!

Edited: 24 September 2013, 18:52
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,697 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip up Hwy 1

Pismo Beach lodging within walking distance of restaurants:

Kon Tiki Inn, Sea Gypsy, Sandcastle Inn, Best Western Shore Cliff Lodge (The Ventana Grill is on the same property), The Cliffs Resort with Marisol, Dolphin Bay with Lido.

Cambria lodging on Moonstone Beach Drive is within walking distance of Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill and the Sea Chest (Do note that the Sea Chest only accepts cash). A few options "in" town include Creekside Inn, Cambria Pines Lodge (They have a restaurant on site), Olallieberry Inn (B&B).

Carmel: Normandy Inn, Cobblestone Inn, Cypress Inn, Lamp Lighter Inn

Monterey lodging: Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa (They have 2 restaurants on site), Monterey Bay Inn, Spindrift Inn, The Intercontinental Clement. There are also a number of budget friendly options on Munras, but I don;t know what dining options are close at hand.

(Carmel and Monterey are literally 10 minutes apart from each other. The lodgings in Carmel are more B&B like than hotel like)

Santa Cruz: Don't know enough about the lodging options here to make any recommendations. I suggest posting on the Santa Cruz forums for suggestions. Or just spend 2 nights in Monterey and visit Santa Cruz before heading home. It's only 45 minutes from Monterey.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 02:12
Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip up Hwy 1

Thanks, that's really helpful. Will definitely think about 2 nights in Monterey instead of moving on to Santa Cruz.

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip up Hwy 1

In Carmel, The Normandy Inn previously mentioned is nice and budget-friendly. You can walk to restaurants, shops and art galleries from this property. They have a small heated pool, friendly service and breakfast is included with your room. Have fun! :)

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip up Hwy 1

Hi there! Morro Bay is a great place to stop. Being a quaint beach town, a lot of our lodging accommodations are walking distance to restaurants, shops, the beach, and more! You should consider stopping along the way!

8. Re: Trip up Hwy 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:20