We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California road trip

Rockland, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
California road trip

I intend to leave Las Vegas on october 3 returning to Vegas on october 27. We would like to visit Death Valley NP., Sequoia NP., Yosomite NP., Lake Tahoe, then we would like to go to San Francico stay there 3 or 4 nights and then travel from San Francisco to San Diego with multiple overnight stops in between. We would like to spend a few nights in Palm springs and visit Joshia Tree NP. before returning to Vegas october 27. I've read a tremendous road trip idea from Trip Advisor for our drive from Las Vegas to Yosomite including a stop in Death Valley but no suggestions on how to incorporate Sequoia within that trip. I thaught looking at the map that by lodging 2 nights in Lone Pine near Death Valley I could visit Sequoia the following day and then continue to Yosomite but to my surprise I was told there is no entrance for Sequoia near by and that I would be about 5 hours drive to that park. Any suggestions as to the best idea to how we could best add our visit to Sequoia NP. within that trip. We would appreciate any other suggestions for things to do or visit during that trip. I heard there is a yearly National Park pass that can be purchased. I wander if someone can tell me more about that. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Lone Pine
Lone Pine
California Desert, CA
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
145 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Inyo National Forest
Forests, National Parks
Mojave National Preserve
Visitor Centres, Deserts, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,551 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California road trip

Hi al7now

You've done some terrific research!

You are correct. There is no easy way to incorporate Sequoia NP in this itinerary. Sounds sad, but maybe drop it.

The pass is called an America the Beautiful interagency pass (or Federal Lands pass.) Buy it for $80 at your first National Park. Use it at Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Death Valley NP, Yosemite NP, San Francisco National Maritime Park, and Joshua Tree NP. You might consider including Grand Canyon NP. If you don't include all those, it might be cheaper to pay for individual entries.

Here are a variety of other itineraries from other TA members that may help your planning, but honestly I think your draft itinerary is pretty good! California Itineraries: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c201149

Be sure to read the relevant Top Questions & Trip Ideas on the right side of this page.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
145 Reviews
Kernville, CA
2. Re: California road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 09:31
Edited: 04 October 2014, 09:31
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,551 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California road trip

Definitely need to make some personal choices. ---the eastern Sierra along Hwy 395 or around the southern end of the Sierra to Sequoia NP-- Both are good options.

Note that the SF Maritime Park is $5 per person and Red Rock Canyon NCA is $7 per vehicle.

Hwy 1 is the preferred route from SF to L.A. for most folks, but this itinerary is getting pretty full.

Mentioned in this post
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
466 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
145 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Rockland, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California road trip

Thanks for your good suggestions. We wanted to use Hwy 395 because we think it is more scenic and we wanted to see Mnt. Whitney, the Alabama Hills etc.

What about visiting Sequoia NP. on our way back from San Francisco from Hwy 1 ex. Cambria back & forth or from another city on Hwy. 1.

Mentioned in this post
Alabama Hills
Alabama Hills
607 Reviews
Lone Pine, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
145 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,551 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California road trip

Plug your proposed routes in to Google Maps. Remember that this is just driving time ~ no time for refueling, scenic stops, meals, or anything like that.

If you want to include it, you can. Read more about Sequoia Kings Canyon NP (SEKI) on that forum and on the NPS website. Check into seasonal road conditions as October is getting chilly & snowy at some elevations. Allow at least 2 nights if you're making the effort to go there.

Are you thinking something like .... Lone Pine - Lee Vining / June Lakes {peek into Tuolumne Meadows} - Lake Tahoe - San Francisco - Yosemite Valley - Kings Canyon - Sequoia - Monterey - Cambria - L.A. - and so on

I'm just concerned that your itinerary is becoming so full that you won't have time to actually enjoy the destinations. But some folks enjoy a jam packed vacation, and maybe that's your travel style.

Mentioned in this post
Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon
797 Reviews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA
Tuolumne Meadows
Tuolumne Meadows
483 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,712 Reviews
Lone Pine
Lone Pine
California Desert, CA
Lee Vining
Lee Vining
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
145 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Rockland, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California road trip

Thanks for your input. We prefer using Hwy 395 because we think it is more scenic. What would you think of visiting Sequoia NP. from somewhere on Hwy 1 on our way back fom San Francisco. I was thinking from Cambria back & forth.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Cambria
Cambria
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
145 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Rockland, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California road trip

Your right our schedule is getting pretty tight. We will see when we are near Cambria check the weather forecast and decide at yhat time.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,710 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California road trip

I think it would be better to fit in Sequoia either before or after Yosemite, instead of making multiple trips back and forth between the coast and the Sierra Nevada.

On the eastern side of the Sierra, many trees will be in fall color. See http://californiafallcolor.com for examples and locations.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 05:22
Mentioned in this post
Sierra Nevada
Sierra Nevada
7 Reviews
California
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
145 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
466 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,551 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: California road trip

Are you hoping that Tioga Pass will be open when you are on 395 and using this entrance to visit Yosemite? Are you planning to drive down to Yosemite Valley and then back up? Do you have lodging reservations? Yosemite is popular year round.

If your main interest in SEKI is Giant Sequoias, you can visit a small grove between Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows or a large grove about an hour south of Yosemite Valley. But if you want to experience lots & lots of sequoias, then you may need to make time for SEKI.

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
995 Reviews
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,712 Reviews
Tuolumne Meadows
Tuolumne Meadows
483 Reviews
10. Re: California road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 05:18