We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Topic
Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

hi,

I will be driving from LA to LV on the 10 Oct. Planning to do a stop over at Barstow and hopefully can find some good location for star gazing in the desert.

Any recommendation?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,962 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

Too many lights in Barstow. If you stay in Barstow maybe head out Hwy247 past Slash X Cafe where it will be a little darker.

Personally, I would continue east on I-15 to Cima Road. Head past the Shell station into the Mojave Preserve. This is beyond Barstow, so you might as well continue on to Vegas.At the Teutonia Peak trailhead there is a small parking area by the side of the road. You will be surrounded by Joshua Trees. The closest light source would be that lone gas station a few miles away.Since it looks like that date there will be a quarter moon,you may get some nice views of the trees,stars and moon.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 19:47
Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

Is there a specific reason you are stopping in Barstow? Honestly, the drive from LA to Vegas isn't difficult (although fairly boring) and sorry, IMO, there isn't much to do in Barstow. I wouldn't want to waste a vacation evening there if I didn't have a specific reason.

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

hi,

No particular reason for stopping in Barstow. If there is other location that i can spend the night to do some star glazing, it will be fine as well.

cheers

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

What time are you planning on leaving the LA area on Oct 10?

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

hi, the drive will start from LA airport at around 7pm in the evening.

Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

hi dex40 , thanks for your comment. Don't see any acommodation near Cima Road. Any where you can suggest to spend the night before hiting Las Vegas the next morning.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

Ummm..... are you planning on starting this drive after arrival from Singapore? NOT a good idea !!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,453 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

Its not a good idea Imo to be traveling late at night after Dark in an unfamiliar area, and it will be dark by then. The last few hours from Las Vegas is known for quite a few accidents in that area since its a more desolate part of the drive.

I would suggest you may want to tell us your whole itinerary, we may be able to suggest better areas for you to Star Gaze.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,882 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

Almost any random offramp on the route that doesn't have services will offer excellent star-gazing - at the cost of not having any accommodations nearby and being...dark and spooky and potentially unsafe.

So, if you're bent on staying in Barstow (I wouldn't stay anywhere except near the outlets, having had my own adventures in Barstow), you need to take a nap and then head out toward Vegas to some isolated place (won't be too hard to find) and then drive back to your resting place.

Barstow itself isn't far enough into the dark to be that useful for stargazing. If you head toward Death Valley, you will also see occasional places to pull off and drive a couple of miles into the desert to see stars. I do not recommend doing this, at all.

Let me put it another way. You live in one of the world's safest places, and Los Angeles is not as safe. Barstow, while not unsafe, nevertheless is no Singapore and you will be really obvious, driving your rental car out into the desert.

There are more accidents out there, between Barstow and Vegas, because people get tired of the monotony and start driving really fast and crazy (and on the way back, they drive crazy out of anger and desperation). Plus, there are simply more shenanigans going in and out of Vegas...

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving frm LA to LV (overnight Barstow) - Star gazing spot

no no. I will be spending sometime in other parts of US before hitting the road in LA. :)