We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Hello, I hope im posting this in the right spot.

We are a family from australia, will be picking up car from LAX, driving a loop from san diego, grand canyon, vegas, yosemite, san fran, back to LA.

We have 4 adults and 2 children (6 and 4)

what would be the best car for us and luggage? (as we dont know alot about american cars)

here our booster seats (for over 4's, with just the lap sash belt) are more slim than the todder seats with the 5 point harness.....is this similar in the US? (mainly asking if the seats are slimmer?)

so the 7 seaters i have come across so far are...

tahoe

grand caravan

toyota sienna

suburban

escalade (looks great, but expensive)

what has the most room for luggage? I dont know which of these models, if the 3rd row of seats eats all the way into the boot space.

will get a mini van if we have to.....but im a SUV type of person

is the tahoe big enough? how much bigger is a suburban?

thanks for your thoughts

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

Escalades are nice but high end. Suburbans are huge. Vans are perhaps more practical. You aren't going to be off roading. Also will be cheaper. For any, book well in advance. In proportion to cars they don't keep as many of the big stuff around.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

I am not a big car guy, but I know that the Surburban and the Escalade are really the same vehicle. The difference is all the luxury extras and the way the interior is laid out. I am sure some car person will come along with some good advise.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,267 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

Are you bringing your booster seats or buying ones here? There is info about car seats in the Top Q on the right.

My sister has a Tahoe that would be big enough for 4 a + 2 c, but it's a few years old. I don't know what the new Tahoes look like. I think the Sienna is the largest minvan now, but having extra seats might not be something that you want. (It appears you want more space and exactly 6 seats.)

Wikipedia is actually a pretty good source for exact measurements of vehicles.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

we were going to rent the seats with the car rental company.

im sure any of these car will seat us all with plenty of room, my main concern was if the 3rd row of seats pretty much takes up all the boot space.

i thought an escalade would be the same size as a suburban, but is it more the size of the tahoe?

ive looked at a car site and it says that the boot space for tahoe and escalade is 16.9 cu.ft. and the suburban is 45.8.....then the numbers increased with the seats down (whether this is the 3rd only, or 2nd row as well was unclear)

id be happy with the tahoe if i knew there would be enough room for our luggage.....im a typical girl when it comes to packing, my husbands suitcase is smaller than mine, my inlaws travel very light (may even share a case) and the kids will probably be small to medium. plus carry ons

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,267 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire

I used Google Images to find a picture of "chevy Tahoe trunk space" and found this article/review: musingsofahousewife.com/2010/08/chevrolet-ta… The blogger took a photo of the back loaded with luggage.

You can also look at other pictures using Google Images.

I think it will be cheaper to buy booster seats, but renting is easy.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire

do you think that pic is with the 3rd row folded down?

it seems a reasonable amount of cases to me

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire

We're on a roadtrip in the USA now and have rented a Buick Enclave. That's a 7 seater awd SUV same size as a Chevy Tahoe. We're only with 2 people so plenty of room but with 6 you will have a lack of trunkspace with the 3 seating rows in action . Suggest to rent a Chevy Suburban or the like and be more comfortable. We also are familiar with renting a minivan but with 6 same problem with the luggage. In Australia we rented cars like Toyota Kluger and Ford Territory and they are smaller than the car we have now. If you use the 2nd row for 3 people you only need one person on the 3rd row and that gives you a lot of extra luggagespace with 2/3 of the 3rd row folded down. Unfortunately "our" car has 2 captainchairs for a 2nd row so with 6 in that car you'll need to use of 2/3 of the rd row. Hope I made myself clear ;)

Tet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire

I've read that article about the Tahoe and the writer wanted to rent another car next time and considered a Chevy Traverse. That's also a car we rented (and a similar GMC Acadia another time) and this Chevy can be compared to the Buick we have now. All same technics and space but still smaller than the Suburban.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire

thanks, all the info does help.

I have since read about the traverse and it does seem to have more cargo space with the 3rd row in action.

I cant remember which company off the top of my head listed a traverse.....but the issue is if i book a traverse, all the sites say ''or similar'', what if they end up giving us a tahoe and our luggage doesnt fit!

does anyone know if the cars have the clip at the back of the 3rd row seats to clip in the booster seat, all the pics i see doesnt have them?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire

We rented all those cars with Hertz. Cat Frar. Don't expect too much of the cargo space compared to a Tahoe. A Tahoe for some reasons is in a different catagory. Can't help on the booster seats question.