We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much of my trip will be effected by the closures?

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
How much of my trip will be effected by the closures?

Hello everyone.

First off I would like to say how sorry I am to all those effected by the closures.

I will be travelling to California tomorrow from the UK and we will start our California road trip.

and I have concerns about what may and may not be closed.

We have tickets booked at Alcatraz for the 10/3 - I'm guessing that will be a no-go?

We also have accommodation booked at Curry village Yosemite for 2 nights on the 10/5 till the 10/7 - Checked the website and it has not yet been updated. But this will also be effected.

Where is recommended as an alternate itinerary for these 2 dates?

After Yosemite we had 1 night booked at furnace creek in death valley. - Will this be closed too? Any suggestions for a good place to stay as an alternative?

We have 1 night booked at Tusayan just outside GCNP. Can we still get a good view of the canyon?

We will also be driving the pacific coast highway and staying at ripplewood resort in big sur? Im not sure if this is effected at all?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much of my trip will be effected by the closures?

Others will be able to talk about the impact on national parks, but there are no national parks in Big Sur. Access will be unaffected. Pfeiffer Beach is actually part of our National Forest system, but it would be impossible to "close" it unless the federal government paid someone to stand at the entry kiosk and prevent people from parking. That's not going to happen under the current scenario.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much of my trip will be effected by the closures?

Alcatraz is a no go. But lots of other options in Frisco so you will be fine there. Not really a substitute for Yosemite but don't panic yet. No one can predict how long this will last. Give a couple days for posturing and news conferences and it may be settled. Lots else to do. BTW... state highways that pass through national parks will be open. So you could drive 120 over Tioga pass. There has been debate about Furnace Creek do to it's unusual status. There are places to see the Grand Canyon. Before tearing up your plans I'd suggest doing things about two days at a time and seeing how things work out.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much of my trip will be effected by the closures?

It's going to be difficult for you to get information as the main National Park Service website and the websites for all the parks are now shut down as well. As for GCNP, Highway 64 which runs through the park is open, but no stopping is allowed and the entrances to the overlooks are closed. You might get a glimpse along that eastern drive between Desert View and the village, but unfortunately not much. Keep an eye and ear on the news for information.

4. Re: How much of my trip will be effected by the closures?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 06:39