We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS question

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
GPS question

Hi,

I'm doing a road trip in California and will be covering Vegas as well. I have a garmin gps with 2011 map, is there big changes in the map from 2011 to 2013?

I'm wondering if I need to get a new gps with latest map installed?

Thanks

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS question

Can't you get your map updated from Garmin, rather than buying a whole new gps? I doubt that there are enough changes to justify a new gps.

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS question

The gps is loaned from a friend so my option will be to update or purchase a new set. Do you think I can just use the 2011 map for my trip?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS question

It really depends on the area. Some areas have very new constructions and your 2011 map will not be up to date. But if you are just going to visit major tourist sights I think you should be OK.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,624 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS question

Probably should be ok. But always have paper maps as backup to check your GPS route. Especially if you are not familiar with the settings. Sometimes the computer routes you some backward and round about ways.

Portola Valley...
Level Contributor
163 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS question

I agree a paper map is best, At worst there's a simple folding road map. If you go to a bookshop you can get a road map book for Northern California, another for Southern California and another for Nevada. Try hiking shops like REI too for special maps. Do you have a smartphone? You can download maps to your smartphone (e.g. Topo Maps) - Google Maps will work when you have phone signal. You can check California roads Caltrans Highway Information Network (CHIN) 800.427.7623.

Waze is a fun app for a smartphone.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 07:47
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,663 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS question

I think you will be okay with the 2011 edition. Freeways and major roads/highways have not changed that much. Some of the state routes have been around for decades. The new streets are typically in the new development housing areas (which I presume you are not visiting as a tourist, unless you are meeting up some friends or something). Be mindful of some of the road traffic changes (such as one-way, no turns, etc..) and adjust to real-time conditions. (e.g. A GPS may suggest you to go through a certain junction, but you just realize that the street has been blocked for through traffic... things like that).

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: GPS question

I shall let someone else warn of the pitfalls (dangers) of using GPS in the deserts and in the mountains. I'm hoarse on this subject. As others have already said, get a paper map. Know how to read it. Best to follow a paper map when traveling in the deserts and in the mountains.

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GPS question

Thanks all for the input. Will get a paper map and continue using the gps.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GPS question

One feature I have found very helpful is the Live Traffic Updates, which will re-route you to avoid problems. (Uses radio waves for the info). You can get one for around $100, also comes with lifetime Map Updates.

amazon.com/TomTom-4-3-Inch-Navigator-Lifetim…

So you might want to look into getting a new one if that feature interests you.

10. Re: GPS question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 05:18