We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast Road trip

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
West Coast Road trip

Hi folks,

I am looking for some advice for a trip I would like to take next summer. My initial thoughts are to fly into San Francisco, spend a few days taking in Alcatraz etc there, pick up a hire car and travel down the coast to LA, then go to Las Vegas and San Diego. I am not sure which order it is best to do those stops in. So any advice on this would be great!

I am planning on spending 2 weeks doing this trip and would like to be there for the 4th of July but am flexible otherwise so would also appreciate some advice on where would be the best city to be in for the 4th celebrations.

Thanks

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Coast Road trip

look at the FAQ's on the right...this itinerary is spoken of often. search previous posts

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: West Coast Road trip

I have looked through some posts but haven't found any that include all the area's I wish to visit. Most seem to be San Fran to LA but no further.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,761 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Coast Road trip

Hi

Here are some possible itineraries: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c201149 Just "lurk" on those threads and ask questions about your trip here.

Are you planning to include Yosemite?

Is this a family trip? a time to be romantic with your significant other? a big adventure for friends? a single trip with lots of time for photography? The basic route would work for any of those groups, but the emphasis would vary.

SFO - SF - {pick up car} - Yosemite Valley or nearby - Monterey - Cambria / Pismo Beach - L.A. - San Diego - Las Vegas - LAS

Assuming you spend 2 - 3 full days in each major destination, that's about 17 - 18 days. So you have to trim the nights or the destinations.

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: West Coast Road trip

Thanks for that. It will be me and a friend looking for a mixed adventure, so some typical tourist attractions, some beach days and some good nightlife. I wasn't planning on including Yosemite, just sticking to the coastal areas (except for Vegas).

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,121 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West Coast Road trip

You'll want to plan your beach days as far to the south as you can, as weather in Northern California, even in summer, is not warm beachy weather (highs in the mid-to-high-60s during the day, with the possibility of fog in the late afternoons and mornings). Great for beach-combing, hiking, etc, though. Be sure to allow at least 2-3 nights en route between SF and LA (Monterey, Cambria, Santa Barbara).

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,121 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West Coast Road trip

You might consider driving down the coast to San Diego, then fly to Las Vegas, and fly back home from there (or via LAX if needed for better flight selection). Flying will maximize your sightseeing time along the coast.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,978 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West Coast Road trip

I agree with Susan's idea of flying to Las Vegas. Flights are almost, if not more, cheap than paying rent and gas on a car, using such airlines as Southwest and JetBlue.

8. Re: West Coast Road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 06:19