We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

Shoreham-by-Sea...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

My 2 daughters (17 & 9yrs) and I are leaving for California this saturday. We fly into SF for 5 nights and then had a lodge booked at Yosemite for 2 nights before heading to LA for 7 nights. There will be no point driving to Yosemite if it is closed so am thinking about doing the coastal route from SF to LA and perhaps stopping for either 2 nights at one place or 1 night at two different places. We already plan to do about 4 days on beaches in LA so feel as if i want to doing something slightly different for those other 2 days/nights especially as we will all be so disappointed not to be going to Yosemite. Any suggestions?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,728 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

Welcome to the Forum. Your backup plan is very good. And I would also be surprised if Yosemite were still closed by the time of your booking. I would keep the plan intact and change it as necessary. But doing two separate one-night stops along the coast would make sense. You will also find the coastal drive totally different than the beach scenes you will experience in LA. Think about maybe Monterey and Santa Barbara as stops. You'll get lots of feedback on this with other options.

Have fun.

Shoreham-by-Sea...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

Thank you. I really hope Yosemite is open but think it sensible to have a back up plan. Am looking at the two places you have suggested now :-)

Edited: 14 October 2013, 13:07
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,996 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

There are lots of ideas about the coastal drive down Hwy 1 that are collected into the Top Questions on the right. Depending on your travel style, you may be happier with a 2nd night in Pismo Beach rather than all the way to Santa Barbara. Read about the towns and the many opportunities to stop along the way to see what appeals to you.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

With kids Pismo Beach will make a nice stop. Agree with PNWF. Monterey and Pismo Beach on the way will be great. You can make a stop in Cambria (maybe still Scarecrowfestival there) and Santa Barbara on the way.

California
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

Here is a link from the Top Ten Questions About Yosemite, however, the link is found on the Yosemite National Park forum page:

lhttp://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c201460/Yosemite-National-Park:California:Alternate.Plans.During.Shutdown.hthttp://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c201460/Yosemite-National-Park:California:Alternate.Plans.During.Shutdown.htmlml

Edited: 14 October 2013, 17:03
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,996 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c201460

Just use the part after the www. and end with the final unique digit. Be sure nothing follows the last digit. Here it is with symbols so it won't hyperlink.

>tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c201460<

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

Here is the direct link to Alternatives to Yosemite Top Question.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c201460/Yosemi…

Shoreham-by-Sea...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

Thank you everyone. All your ideas and help are greatly appreciated although I'm still not fully decided on where to go!! At least now I have a few more ideas and feel I know about places that I didn't before! Thanks again.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,996 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

I hope Yosemite opens so that you can enjoy the beauty. Is your potential arrival date October 24th?

Shoreham-by-Sea...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go insted of Yosemite!!

Thank you, so do we. Yes we leave SF on 24th and have another hotel booked in LA on 26th.