We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice roads from SF to Gold Country

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Nice roads from SF to Gold Country

Hoping somewhere here can help me out -- planning a last-minute trip to Gold Country for this weekend (not sure where exactly, maybe the Placerville area, maybe Sonora area) but we're going on a motorcycle and straight highway driving on a motorcycle gets pretty boring.

Which are the most boring roads (straight, with lots of wind, lots of cars) and most interesting roads (curves, good scenery) between SF and the Sierra foothills roughly west? We would be willing to choose our destination based on the roads to get there. We know part of it will be highway driving, but anything to minimize it would be great.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice roads from SF to Gold Country

I'd suggest going through the Delta which will bring you out between Stockton and Lodi. There are various routes from there that will get you to Highway 49. Take Highway 4 over the Antioch bridge into the Delta. There are some great little towns out that way.

Here's a thread from a few years back when I was planning a trip out that way. Some great info here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k351333…

Stay away from I80 at all costs.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice roads from SF to Gold Country

Yes, driving through the delta is great.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,584 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice roads from SF to Gold Country

Definitely do the Delta and read White Dahlia's link. Little towns to stop in, and the last time I was on those roads there was NO traffic. We were alone, almost.

Have a great ride.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice roads from SF to Gold Country

Another vote for the Delta -- we went Hwy. 4 east from SF through the Delta on our last trip to the Gold Country, and it was great. Just quiet and relaxed and scenic (not WOW scenic, but interesting terrain and big open sky). It took us most of the day for the drive (we putted along at about 30-35 mph 'cuz it was just so interesting looking around). You can turn off 4 at either 88 (with a short stint on 99) or 49, the classic Gold Rush highway. to Sutter Creek. Or Murphys would be right on Hwy. 4, just east of Angels Camp.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice roads from SF to Gold Country

Great, thanks so much. We're planning roughly to go through the delta on 160, up to Amador, sleep somewhere, then down 49 to 4 and back to SF. Any favorites along the delta or just stop where we feel like it? (Or is this not the recommended route through the delta?)

Edited: 18 October 2013, 04:08
6. Re: Nice roads from SF to Gold Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:19