We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic driving suggestions from San Fran to Tillamook

San Clemente...
5 posts
Save Topic
Scenic driving suggestions from San Fran to Tillamook

Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions for the drive from San Fran to Tillamook, Oregon. I will be staying in Crescent City for two nights and am hoping to hit as many coastal and/or foresty scenic stops along the way for photo taking. Would love suggestions for must-do stops and hikes. Thanks!!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic driving suggestions from San Fran to Tillamook

If this is after the government shutdown ends, Redwood National Park would be great. (And if it's during the shutdown, there are alternative state parks in the area.)

If you're driving from SF to Crescent City without an overnight stop, I'm not sure you have enough time to really linger on the coastal route... it's an 8 hour drive with NO stops. And if this is in the fall or winter, your daylight hours will be somewhat limited. The coastal road is not one I'd like to be driving at night, trying to get somewhere in a hurry.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic driving suggestions from San Fran to Tillamook

I hope you have plenty of time to stop along the way! There are countless places to stop and take photos.

When are you planning this trip?

Please also post in the Oregon Coast forum for more information.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1438848-i12636-Or…

--

Here are some places to visit in the Redwoods. If the weather is nice you'll get some fabulous views from some of the viewpoints. All of them are open during the government shutdown:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32378-Activitie…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32641-d64…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g2193168-Activit…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32363-c144314/Eureka…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g33188-Activitie…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32830-Activitie…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32564-Activitie…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

San Clemente...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic driving suggestions from San Fran to Tillamook

Good advice- if I were to stay in Crescent City only the second night of the two I have planned there, do you have recommendations for the best place to stay between SF and Crescent City on a budget?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic driving suggestions from San Fran to Tillamook

Just read your other thread. All but a few day use state parks are free in Oregon! You can buy a 5 day Oregon Coast Pass for $10 that includes all of the fee parks. Those that do charge are $5, but that is good for more than one park on the same day I believe.

Will look for your post on the Oregon Coast forum :-)

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic driving suggestions from San Fran to Tillamook

>>if I were to stay in Crescent City only the second night of the two I have planned there, do you have recommendations for the best place to stay between SF and Crescent City on a budget?<<

Either along the coast, maybe in Mendocino (this splits the drive into two 4-hour days), or inland via Garberville in the midst of the redwoods (although this isn't a half-way split... 3-1/2 hours the first day, 2-1/2 hours the second day -- although you can easily spend hours the second day enjoying Avenue of the Redwoods). Now, the "budget" portion is harder to judge for you without specifics as to what features you want in a hotel and what price range is "budget" for you. Mendocino won't be cheap, but there are lots of accommodations; Garberville will have cheaper options, but far fewer of them (although the BW there is supposed to be good).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic driving suggestions from San Fran to Tillamook

"Avenue of the Giants" ;-)

Garberville is an old hippy town. There are several smaller older motels there as well as the somewhat more upscale Best Western although I have not stayed in any of them. (We've stayed in the RV park)

If you drive 101 instead of Hwy 1, it's about 6 hours SF to Eureka, then another 1½ to Crescent City.

One advantage to staying somewhere for a night on the way is that the next day you can see some of the attractions that are more to the south end. Redwood NP area is really spread out - it goes about 40-50 miles north and south, even farther if you include Ferndale which is well worth a stop. You might also like to see Scotia - the last "company town" in America.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic driving suggestions from San Fran to Tillamook

Right you are, Half-Brit, "Avenue of the Giants". Thanks! (I have redwoods on the brain.... I'm planning a trip to Monterey in a couple of weeks and was debating between Henry Cowell and Big Basin at the time I answered this!)

8. Re: Scenic driving suggestions from San Fran to Tillamook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 06:21