We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for SF to LA drive - 2 days 2 nights

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for SF to LA drive - 2 days 2 nights

I have only driven LA to SF...and now I cant decide where to stop going the other direction!!

We leave SF early morning Dec 26 and can stop somewhere that night and stop somewhere else on the 27 and arrive in LA on the 28th. I would like to see Hearst Castle, but do not need to go to Monterey - have done that. We are with are 2 kids, aged 10 and 12. We have also stayed in Cambria and Santa Barbara

Day 1

Drive SF to somewhere in Julia Pfeiffer Park (hotel/lodge B+B - any recos?)

Day 2 - elephant seals, Hearst Castle over night in San Luis Obispo

Day 3 - on to LA

I know it seems silly that I can't decide when I have driven the coast before, but its been a few years and I want to maximize Big Sur! Any suggestions appreciated,

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,504 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for SF to LA drive - 2 days 2 nights

The best advise we can give is when visitors are more specific with budgets and with their interests. I appreciate you saying where you don't want to stay but for the two nights . I presume it is 2 nights and 3 days not 2 days, check the ventana inn or post ranch inn for luxurious rooms or Deetjens for economy or even find a yurt

For night 2 sure SLO is fine more of a college town. How about Pismo. Beach?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for SF to LA drive - 2 days 2 nights

Yes, 2 nights, 3 days. Budget is not an issue. I would love to stay at Ventana or Post Ranch, but our 2 kids are with us, 10 and 12, and they don't allow kids. We'd be up for anything - high en or low, the yurt experience or anywhere interesting or unique. Its only 2 nights and we've got nice hotels in SF and LA. Interest-wise - all the great nature stuff like the elephant seals, would love to do anything active - hiking, horseback riding, maybe a kayak - to counterpoint the driving and Hearst Castle. Pismo would work !

3. Re: Itinerary for SF to LA drive - 2 days 2 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 06:20