We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in LA

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Living in LA

Hi,

I intend with a friend to do a two month work placement next summer in LA and after reading a few responses on the city on where to go (and not go) gangs etc I'm slightly nervous. I understand some people may have individual experiences but i am slightly concerned.

I really just want to know for safety where we should live for the 2 months, where we should go and stay, if we go for dinner where should we keep away from at night and where is fine. We both have a bit of money so we obviously don't want anyone mugging us etc. so where is the best, safest place to live where we won't be robbed or anything like that.

We're both really looking forward to being there but before we look at accommodation I want to be looking in the right place, we'd also far rather pay more and be safe then pay less so money isn't the biggest concern.

Thanks,

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in LA

Well, where will your temporary job be?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in LA

It will be around Creastwood Hills Park

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in LA

I think you mean Crestwood Hills Park, off the 405 in W LA ....

Completely safe area in relation to the whole city. There are MANY choices for you to live at but will you be having a car or depending on other transit.

My niece works about 3-4 minutes from there and lives in the more suburban San Fernando Valley. Housing prices and/or rentals may be somewhat more affordable there as compared with the areas like West LA or Westwood. The drawback is that the nightlife in the Valley doesn't compare with the westside.

Don't worry about any perceived levels of crime that you may have heard of. The topic has come up repeatedly here in recent days but the consensus is that levels of crime have dropped in recent years. All in all, the area around your employment spot is just fine.

Dr. Z

P.S. I just saw your post re: Auschwitz and your grandparents......don't go in mid Dec....way too cold!!

Edited: 23 October 2013, 05:12
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in LA

I've lived in LA my entire life, all over the city from West LA, The Valley, Korea Town, Hollywood, Eagle Rock and I currently live Downtown. Never been robbed, mugged, even threatened. LA is one of the safest large cities in the world.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in LA

You will be working in one of the safest and most upscale areas of the Los Angeles environ. Many celebrities and professionals live in that area so don't worry about gangs or the like. They are no where near there! The most you need to worry about is the rare chance of someone breaking into your car at night if you happen to leave your laptop sitting on the seat of your car, but for the most part, even if you did happen to do that chances are it would still be there in the morning.

If you can afford it, I'd try staying in Brentwood or Westwood. Lots of young students and grad students in the area (The University of California Los Angeles, or UCLA is close by). Or Santa Monica would be nice too, since it's near the ocean. Since you will be coming from England where the £ is worth much more than our $, perhaps a studio or one bedroom in the area won't break your bank.

There are always subletting opportunities in the area from students who will be out of town for a few months. Check out Craigslist.org under Housing / sublets/temporary or rooms/shared or the UCLA newspaper online for available flats. Or you can always try renting out a guesthouse from someone in the area.

Don't worry. You're young, you're coming to LA, you're going to have a great time!

P.S. You're from London, right? You obviously know how to handle yourself in the big city. LA is no worse. Don't stress.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Living in LA

Hi, thanks for the replies, putting my nerves to rest. Ok so we think Santa Monica would be like really nice, Beverly Hills I'm assuming, Brentwood. Also I've heard of Calabasas is that good? I just want somewhere really nice, it's only for 2 months and in the peak of the summer so like a mini hol.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Living in LA

Thanks yer I've changed plan re Auschwitz will go in spring but going to paris with friends pre christmas. Thanks. Also Bel Air I've heard of is that good to live?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Living in LA

Bel Air is very good but very expensive. If you can afford it, go for it.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Living in LA

Calabasas is too far, you will spend a very long time commuting to work in traffic.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Living in LA

Ok! thanks for your help so far!