We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK west coast trip

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
UK west coast trip

Hello, we are a couple from UK. We are looking to fly in Sep 2014 to LA from London. We are then lookign to see the sights over approx 7 days of Grand canyon, vegas and San Fran before having a couple of days in LA either before or after this and then heading for a week of relaxation in cancun. Can anyone recommend any trips or tours? thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,504 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK west coast trip

7 days to see San Francisco and some other places outside California. Are you planning to drive or fly. You could spend a few days in LA and then drive to the GC with an overnight enroute spend the night there and drive to LV for a day and then fly to SF or San FranCISCO for a few days

Why not fly to Mexico from there ? cancun is on the eastern seaboard so another long flight

Most would suggest 3-4 days each in LA and SF but it is your quick and rushed trip so you can pick what you want to see in a couple of days

California
Level Contributor
686 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK west coast trip

I think think that you'd spend way too much time traveling from place to place. Also, it'll be very hot in Las Vegas and the weather will be nice in California. At that time of year I'd go with SF & LA. And it would be really nice if you could drive along the coast between the two.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK west coast trip

thank you for the info but we definitely want to do vegas/grand canyon more than the other two really!

LA
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: UK west coast trip

As above: Seven days is not enough time for SF, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, LA

What sorts of things are you interested in seeing or doing? How many nights do you have for this trip?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,354 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK west coast trip

With only 7 days, I would just stick to Los Angeles, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Save San Francisco and other places like Big Sur and Yosemite for another trip, preferably in the springtime when the waterfalls of Yosemite will be flowing well. So a future trip could include those.

You just don't have enough time in 7 days to see all the places you listed. If you had 2 weeks you could reasonably do Los Angeles, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Yosemite, San Francisco and Big Sur in one grand loop drive. But with only 7 days it would be just driving, driving, driving with comparatively little time left to actually see anything.

You could fly to Los Angeles and spend 2 or 3 days there, then drive to Grand Canyon National Park (a long drive if done all in one day, 8 hours of driving time plus time at stops), stay 1 or 2 nights there, then drive to Las Vegas and spend 2 or 3 days there, then fly from Las Vegas to Cancun.

How many days in each would be up to you and would depend on what you want to do in each place. If you only want to look down into the Grand Canyon from viewpoints on the rim, one night there is enough. If you want to hike down into it or take a mule ride or other activity, stay 2 nights there.

Las Vegas will still be somewhat hot in September; the afternoon temperature in that month averages 94 F (34 C) so you will probably want to stay indoors in air conditioning and/or use swimming pools. At night, though, it will cool down to a much more pleasant 69 F (21 C). The rim of the Grand Canyon is typically cooler because of its much higher elevation than Las Vegas.

Los Angeles is typically cooler because of the influence of the ocean nearby - however, September is one of the months when the "Santa Ana condition" can occur, when a large high-pressure system sits over the entire southwestern U.S. and rotates clockwise pushing hot dry desert air into southern California and the infamous "Santa Ana winds" which can fuel wildfires. It may or may not happen, but if it does, it's possible for Los Angeles to be very hot and dry in September.

Edited: 26 October 2013, 20:21
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK west coast trip

The Grand Canyon is a 5hr. drive from Las Vegas.

IF you are looking for some sort of tour to go there perhaps ask on the Las Vegas forum as that city is in the state of Nevada and not California.

Perhaps also consider just flying into Las Vegas and going to Cancun from there since you are not so interested in LA .

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,859 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK west coast trip

If what you really want to see are LV and the canyon, why fly into LA at all? I would check into flights to LV direct. If that isn't possible, I would strongly recommend dropping either LA or SF. It's technically possible to do the trip you suggest, but it will be a lot of transit time compared with "being there" time.

Southwest and Jetblue both have a ton of inexpensive flights between LA, SF, LV and Phoenix.

Edit: sigh. I type too slow. But it seems I agree with everyone else!

Edited: 26 October 2013, 20:29
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK west coast trip

We can make it 12 days to do those places and are happy to do internal flights between them so we have longer than 7 days.then hoping to do beach resort for 5-7 days making the whole trip 3 weeeks

flying into la as that seems cheapeat from london

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
540 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK west coast trip

We are just starting to look into the same sort of trip as you. Daughter has just decided to get married in Vegas next September so obviously we are going but flights very expensive so thought we would do LA as well but the more I look into it I am thinking we might as well make it more of a road trip but our time will be limited to 12 days max inc flying days.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,504 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK west coast trip

David everyone travels differently. You have the feedback from the locals here so you can decide what you want to do and see and where you want to spend you time. Just note that North America is huge so when you travel within the State or in the West it takes time and you then want to fly to cancun which again will waste a whole day so just take all that into account and then layout your itinerary perhaps in the road trips forum as it is one that crosses states