We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, road trip please dont shu :-(

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Help, road trip please dont shu :-(

Please can someone help me out here.

Myself and my partner have booked a road trip around california for June 2014! We are both in our early 30's from the UK and will be our 3rd trip to the USA.

We will be flying into LAX and then driving around california with our main stops in Hollywood (2 nights) San fran (2 nights), vegas (2 nights) ending in San diego for (2 nights). along the way we also have stops in death valley and yosemite

While at our main destinations we want to do some sight seeing i.e Alcatraz, grand canyon and universal hollywood. These three are our must sees, if there are any other worth it sights please feel free to advise any help is welcome :-)

Our travel agent leaves is not very helpful at all!!! I wish id have booked with virgin again they were fantastic on our florida trip this year!!

Could some of you kind people help me and advise the best places to book these excursions, i know for places like alcatraz (which is my MUST SEE!!!) you need to book in advance as they seel out quick. I just have no clue where to start and im a little worried that some of these tour websites can rip you off :-( please help.

Any other tips etc for our trip would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Te :-)

Titus Canyon
Canyons, Caverns & Caves
Indian Canyons
Historic Sites, Ancient Ruins, Canyons
Kings Canyon
Canyons, National Parks
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, road trip please dont shu :-(

I assume you are driving, have you booked your car already?

Assuming you are driving, just drive to Universal Hollywood and purchase tickets at the door. For Alcatraz, read nps.gov/alca/planyourvisit/things2know.htm and follow instructions to book with the OFFICIAL company http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

For Grand Canyon, post in the Arizonia GCNP forum or read their excellent FAQs

Edited: 29 October 2013, 14:07
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,770 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, road trip please dont shu :-(

It sounds like you are planning to go to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas, Nevada??

Be aware that it is a 5hr. drive between those 2 places.

There are helicopter tours and fixed wing plane flights which you can book so ask on the Las Vegas forum about it. Many of us here believe that visitors should go to the south rim of the Grand Canyon National Park and not the part that many of the tours visit which is not really the "grand canyon". You might think about changing your plans to include staying overnight IN the actual park.

We have also found that UK travel agents have never visited these areas and know very little about them so please ask lots of questions here to make sure you are doing the trip that will make you happiest!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
65,422 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, road trip please dont shu :-(

The specific city or destination forums can help with ticket planning. This forum will help with the overall itinerary.

LA - Cambria - Monterey - SF - Yosemite valley - Lone Pine - las Vegas - South Rim GCNP - San Diego really needs closer to 3 weeks. Please check out the Top Questions and Trip Ideas onthe right side of the full TA page.

4. Re: Help, road trip please dont shu :-(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question