We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money for 3 weeks in USA

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Spending money for 3 weeks in USA

Hi, I have recently started to plan for a trip to USA next September for just over 3 weeks. I will be spending in total 22 nights starting in LA, then San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Boston and New York. I am thinking of taking with me approx £3000 or maybe a bit more. This would be £1000 for each week I'm there. Would this be enough? I have already booked and paid for my flights and hostels. So the 3k would be solely my spending money plus transfers to and from airports.

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money for 3 weeks in USA

That amount seems more than adequate. You might want to bring charge cards. Almost all shops and services accept VISA and MasterCard and some also accept American Express.

If you plan to take cash, be very careful about keeping it safe. The cities you mention are not only very interesting but generally safe. But, like in all cities around the world, it always pays to be careful.

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money for 3 weeks in USA

Thank you for your reply. I am planning on bringing the majority of the funds on a bank/currency card and some cash to get me by for the first few days

Thank you again

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money for 3 weeks in USA

Pounds will be useless. If you have a debit card, you can draw out money in dollars at better exchange rates at ATMs at banks (automated teller machines=cash points) rather than trying to change pounds into dollars at exchange bureaus or banks.

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money for 3 weeks in USA

Thank you for your reply. I am planning on bringing the majority of the funds on a bank/currency card and some cash to get me by for the first few days

Thank you again

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money for 3 weeks in USA

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear. I will be bringing dollars with me and not sterling. I should have said I will be bringing £3000 worth of $$$

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,932 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money for 3 weeks in USA

Since no one in the US spends £, it is easier to tell us how many $ you are bringing. We can Google/Bing the currency exchange, but it is better to use the local currency for questions on US forums.

The first Google suggestion for me is £3000 = $4,776.30

$4,776.30 / 23 days = $207.66 per day

Depending on which tours & activities you're planning to book and how fancy you like to dine, I think that's fine.

===========

I think your itinerary will have way too many hours in airports waiting for the next flight. You have too many destinations in too short a period of time. You won't get to really experience the destinations, and you won't see anything other than cities. But it's your trip, so you get to do it your way.

If you'd like help planning a multi-state trip, try the Road Trips forum. It doesn't sound like you'll be driving, but they can help with ideas of how many days to spend in each city.

7. Re: Spending money for 3 weeks in USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 04:16