We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with 12 year old boy

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with 12 year old boy

We are taking my grandson on a trip toSan Francisco. Planning to go to Yosemite and looking for a third site. Would like to stay in CA but not wedded to that. Any suggestions?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with 12 year old boy

What time of year?

Perhaps Santa Cruz or Monterey?

Or...

Los Angeles/Anaheim/Disneyland?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,479 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with 12 year old boy

How many days . When . Are you driving ? Willing to drive to the coast ? Likes and dislikes .

Many would suggest 3-4 days in SF. 2-3 in Yosemite . How many days have you planned for spot 3?

12 year olds have different tastes so the more info you give us about you travel and his interests, the better we can help

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,285 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with 12 year old boy

How many total nights and what time of year? Both are crucial elements as they will change the answers people give.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with 12 year old boy

We are going at the end of June. He has been to LA twice and done Disney and Universal. Monterey is certainly a possibility. We want to be away for 7-9 days.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with 12 year old boy

We are looking to a week - 9 days. His main interests are sports and electronics but we would like to use this trip to broaden his horizons.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with 12 year old boy

If you have 9 days I think a third destination is feasible. But if it's just a week then perhaps not.

Does this timeframe include travel days? Makes a big difference as you'll pretty much burn a day on both sides with travel.

Accommodation in Yosemite books up a year in advance so you should head over to the Yosemite forum PDQ and check out how to score sleeping space there. That may guide your itinerary.

If you have time for a third destination then I think it's between Monterey or Santa Cruz. Check out both and see what appeals.

I applaud you for dragging your grandson away from whatever screen he has his face plastered in.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,479 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with 12 year old boy

There is baseball in SF and Oakland and for a kid, the beach boardwalk in Santa Cruz will be fun as will Great America in Santa Clara next to the new home of the 49ers and he can be among the first to see a finished stadium

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with 12 year old boy

if he likes professional baseball, i'd try to see if a game fits into your schedule. that would be a nice combination of paying attention to his interests and introducing him to new things. get on those yosemite reservations. i'd spend 3 nights there. also, book your tickets for an alcatraz tour early. if you add in a third location, i'd do santa cruz for a night or two.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,958 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with 12 year old boy

Here is some information on Santa Cruz. The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is an historical amusement park (not a theme park) which young people enjoy. There is a redwood grove here, and you can see from the article what else is available that might appeal to your grandson.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,958 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling with 12 year old boy

Oops forgot the link. Here it is

http://tinyurl.com/y4hnbu9