We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help adding 3 more nights to itinerary

Denver
Level Contributor
135 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Need help adding 3 more nights to itinerary

My husband, dog and I enjoy a 3 week road trip every October, driving from Denver. Our 21 days on the road this year included Sonoma, Mendocino, Carmel and Montecito. Next October, we want to return to Carmel and Montecito (a one week house rental) but would like to add some new destinations. Maybe Cambria (1 nights) and perhaps Laguna Beach (2 nights?) Already seen the Hearst Castle and Solvang.

We are not beach people or serious hikers. My husband LOVES golf (but I need something to do while he is golfing all day, such as a cute town to explore).

In other years we have stayed in Santa Monica (too crowded) and La Jolla (dog is terrified of barking sea lions) and San Diego (difficult with the dog--she doesn't do well in downtown areas)

Can you think of any other places I should research?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,244 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help adding 3 more nights to itinerary

It will be a lot of driving to go all the way to Laguna beach for 2 nights. If you can add a few more nights, nothing like Laguna beach in Orange County

But you say you are not beach people so would you look at a place that is closer like Ojai ? Don't know who allows pets

Edited: 12 November 2013, 02:21
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,034 posts
6,066 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help adding 3 more nights to itinerary

I would look at dog friendly places to stay first

bringfido.com/lodging/city/morro_bay_ca_us/

He can play golf at

slocountyparks.com/facilities/morrobay.htm

and if you have the car - its a fun day to explore both Morro Bay and Cambria.

Since you are going from Mendocino to Carmel, have you considered for the other nights staying in Napa or Sonoma. (Sonoma the town or Healdsburg both are good to explore while your husband golfs).

hotels.petswelcome.com/california/napa/

This town will satisfy the dog and golf and small town to explore requirements.

for more on Morro Bay see

http://www.morrobay.org/

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help adding 3 more nights to itinerary

Gold country comes to mind. Places like Colombia, Jackson, Murphys, Angels Camp, Sonora, little Copperopolis, Placerville, Grass Valley. Plenty of golf if need be, too.

Healdsburg, already suggested, is very nice.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,345 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help adding 3 more nights to itinerary

What about Palm Springs? Shouldn't be as hot in October and some golfing and other activities for you. I would imagine it is dog friendly.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help adding 3 more nights to itinerary

For a splurge, the Ojai Valley Inn. Lovely valley @ 1 hour from Santa Barbara. Great golf, gorgeous grounds, very cute little town...and the resort is pet friendly. In fact, my husband golfed there today, and two dogs were running around on the patio of the little golf cafe...off leash. Pretty sure that's not technically permitted, but no one complained.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help adding 3 more nights to itinerary

How about San Luis Opispo? Charming little town on the central coast, with golf for your husband.

www.sanluisobispovacations.com/…

Golf:

sanluisobispovacations.com/things-to-do/golf/

Denver
Level Contributor
135 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help adding 3 more nights to itinerary

So many interesting suggestions. We have had relatives living in Palm Springs for 30 years and know it well. Also spent time in Ojai this year along with touring the wine country Sonoma/Napa.

Cambria is now at the top of the list--or is San Luis Opispo offer more ? (not necessarily golf).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help adding 3 more nights to itinerary

I went to college in SLO, easy to spend time in both towns. They are about 30 minutes apart and two different vibes..

9. Re: Need help adding 3 more nights to itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:18