We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping. Confused.

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping. Confused.

The last time I went to the states was about two years ago and at that time I think the average tip was fifteen percent. I read somewhere that it's increased since then. I'm a little confused as to what I should be paying the airport shuttle driver, a taxi driver and maid service.

I go next week so any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,570 posts
5,484 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping. Confused.

you might want to see

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-Stat…

In some places for good service 20 per cent for service at a fine dining restaurant is usually the norm

15 percent is more the minimum....

There is no set (i.e. required) tip amount. Gauge it on service, quality, and more. So if you think its just average 15 per cent will still do. But if you think they have give you personalized and quality service 20 per cent is what you want to do to reinforce that type of behavior and some well heeled (i.e. wealther people) give up to 30 per cent.

and if service is just plain laughable, leave what you want.....you do not need to reinforce bad service by a 20 per cent or even 15 per cent tip. The person might count on their tip, but we also expect the person to deliver quality service.

There will be people who disagree but there is no law that requires tipping - but it is the normal customary practice and it is well appreciated by the hard working customer oriented people we find at most places we visti in California.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 00:00
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,570 posts
5,484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping. Confused.

and the 15 to 20 per cent just is for dining.

the link will describe what to pay these other service categories...

sorry if I may have confused you.

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping. Confused.

Thanks so much Mini! That's really helpful :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping. Confused.

I tip the shuttle driver $2 per bag and 10% to 20% for the taxi driver. I usually tip the maid $5 per day.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,755 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping. Confused.

I tip the shuttle driver if he/she carries my bags into and out of the shuttle at $2 per bag, zero if I have to carry my own bags. 10% for the taxi driver. I don't tip hotel maids.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping. Confused.

I do tip hotel maids because they're some of the hardest working employees in the hospitality business ... and get tipped the least.

Generally I'll tip the maid $5/day.

If you choose to tip the maid, do so each day as it may change each day who is assigned to your room.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping. Confused.

Always start with a quick look at the top questions.. They are on the right side of this page and you will see we have one called

When to Tip and How much? (Updated Nov. 2013)

Yes it was updated this month with more info. Do read

Also dont forget to read the most important question what abou toll roads. It is so often asked that we just cannot keep up with the volume..

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping. Confused.

The top question that belo is referring to has links to tipping guides for everything imaginable.

I do tip the housekeepers, usually $3-5 depending on how messy I've been :)

9. Re: Tipping. Confused.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:18