We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for 8 day visit?

East Grinstead
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Recommendations for 8 day visit?

On Thursday 12th December I fly into LAX and intend to book 2 nights in an LA hotel. Mid-range upwards, room wifi, shuttle bus to LAX so that I can return to collect my rental car at 10 am on 14th. Any recommendations welcomed please.

I'd also appreciate suggestions for one full day in LA please, Friday 13th. I have previously visited LA but saw little except Santa Monica. Forty years ago I enjoyed Universal Studios and would probably do so again unless better options emerge. (I note that it's only #20 in Trip Advisor top LA attractions list, but most of the museums and parks ranked ahead don't really appeal. Maybe a guided bus tour? No theme parks etc as I'll get more than my share with grandsons around San Diego from 21st December until flight back on 28th.

And for the evening? Concert, dinner, show, 'City Walk'? ...

I then have 8 days of touring, so far unplanned, apart from collecting rental car from Avis at LAX and returning it in Carlsbad by 5 pm on 21st December.

Preferences are for scenic driving, canyons, desert, atmospheric towns, comfortable motels (room wifi essential). Have previously visited Joshua Tree, Temecula, Palm Springs, San Francisco (but too far for this trip anyway), Bryce Canyon, Yosemite, Zion. Haven't planned to book beyond LA because of current uncertainty about weather forecasts on 14th Dec onwards. If accessible would love another look at Grand Canyon, despite two previous visits. Or Canyonland, which I've never visited. But open to any and all suggestions please, including motels.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for 8 day visit?

Hi

Why are you going back to the airport to get your rental car? Isn't it cheaper to rent near your hotel?

For specific ideas about L.A., check that forum. The Top Questions (right side) has some terrific info. (Use the full TA website to see the Top Q.)

If you want to leave California and drive to Arizona, maybe post on that forum. Also consider Sedona with a visit to the South Rim GCNP.

Have you been to Death Valley? That would be my first choice for some December tourism. Maybe add a night in Lone Pine and a bit of time on Hwy 395 along with a few days in DVNP.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for 8 day visit?

leave LA and drive up PCH, great coastal views from Ventura north... go as far as you want, stay wherever with no reservations, wing it up the coast... we did this last year, best trip ever and we had two kids along, did that all the way to Seattle... closer here, the beach in Ventura is great, sand side parking right on the highway, you could even camp, or play for the day and go find lunch/dinner heading north.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for 8 day visit?

On your way to San Diego, or as a day trip from LA, consider stopping at Laguna Beach. Great art galleries and there is a tide pool to walk out to.

Universal Studios is OK to visit. Also consider taking a tour of one of the other studios. The Warner Brothers tour on a weekday is of a real working studio. I also like the gardens at the Huntington Library. The drive to Santa Barbara, Ojai, and the wine country north of there is nice.

I'm not a big fan of Hearst Castle, but the drive up there and the local area is interesting and the tour of the house is moderately interesting.

Edited: 16 November 2013, 06:40
East Grinstead
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for 8 day visit?

On reflection I suppose I've asked too many questions in one post, hence the few detailed replies. To focus, can I ask for considered advice on a key question please, as time is now getting tight.

I'm wondering whether I should stay in LA at all?

To remind you, I land at LAX at about 19:00 on Thursday 12th December and so hope to be out of the airport at say 20:00. My thinking was to get a hotel shuttle bus to an as yet undecided hotel and probably have dinner there if I'm hungry - time zone from UK and generosity of Virgin Airlines will be factors. If not, maybe walk or get a cab to say Venice or Santa Monica etc for a stroll and a drink before getting to bed around midnight, latest.

The plan for the following day was/is even vaguer. See earlier post. But I'm going off the idea of Universal Studios. Getting there from an airport hotel could take too long for one thing. I'm still hoping for some other attractive practical suggestions. Perhaps a bus tour, starting from hotel or easily accessible place such as airport, using hotel shuttle? Otherwise maybe I should just skip LA and hit the road. If so I need to bring forward my car hire by one day, making it 9 days instead of 8.

I rather like the idea of driving the PCH for a day or two, as I enjoyed the scenic Amtrak trip (Coastal Starlight?) I did with my wife in the summer of 201l from LA to San Luis Obispo. In any event, I'd like to go N or NE, maybe heading out to Yosemite and/or Death Valley and/or Grand Canyon and/or etc. But I'm beginning to stray...

--

Edited: 22 November 2013, 09:27
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,789 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for 8 day visit?

I think your trouble is more posting in the California Forum and not the Los Angeles Forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32655-i61-Los_Ang…

Because of all the posts in the CA forum posts disappear off the first page quickly.

As to what to do. Most bus tour will originate in the Hollywood area, not LAX. Most people move quickly away from LAX so the tour companies don't do much.

Try reposting in the LA Forum and I am sure you'll get more responses.

East Grinstead
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for 8 day visit?

Thanks, I'll repost as you suggest.

--

7. Re: Recommendations for 8 day visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 06:20