We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Month to Visit Southern California

South Carolina
Level Contributor
113 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Best Month to Visit Southern California

My wife and I are planning a trip from LV-DVNP( 3 nights)-Palm Springs(2 Nights)-San Diego(3 Nights)-LA(3 nights)-Santa Barbara(1 night) sometime next year. We are in our mid 60's and in fairly good physical condition but not really interested in long or strenuous hikes; just want to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the areas. Our plan is to fly into LV, for convenience only, then visit the listed areas by rental car, leaving from LAX. Our time in each area could vary by a day or two if necessary, but our main concern for now is the best time of year to balance the temperature extremes. We are currently thinking about early April or late October. We would appreciate any recommendations regarding our itinerary and timing.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,953 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Month to Visit Southern California

October is usually clear and beautiful, April is usually rainy, sometimes clear.

I don't understand flying into Vegas for convenience? And then leaving LAX via rental car? Won't you have a rental from Vegas to Death Valley? Why go to the airport at LAX at all?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Month to Visit Southern California

the problem is that your destinations really span two types of climates - coastal and desert. When the weather is nice by the coast, its often scorching hot in the desert areas. When temperatures are tolerable in the desert areas, the coasts can be cool or bad weather.

I would probably say October as well - September I think is the best month for the coastal areas like LA and San Diego, but it can be scorching hot at that time in the desert areas like Death Valley (especially), Palm Springs and Las Vegas. October is a little later, so coastal weather is often still good in the early part of the month, and it might not be quite so scorching hot in the desert.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
113 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Month to Visit Southern California

Sorry my statement was confusing. We will fly into LV, rent a car, drive to the areas mentioned, turn in the rental car at LAX and fly home. Sounds like your opinion leans toward late October.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Month to Visit Southern California

October will be the best month for your travels Usually good weather all month, it sure was this year. Have fun planning your trip.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Month to Visit Southern California

Agree with october. Death Valley late october is perfect. But maybe consider to reverse this trip, start LA and depart LV. We spent time at the California coast end of september and weather just was perfect. Palm Springs was almost 100F but off season and low prices. make sure yu'll drive between Palm Springs and Death Valley via Joshua tree NP and Mojave National Preserve.

Tet

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Month to Visit Southern California

Yes - October - in early April you'll possibly run into spring break vacationers in PS, San Diego and Santa Barbara, which will increase lodging costs and tourists.

April weather can be unpredictable - sometimes its nice, sometimes its rainy, misty, overcast, especially in Santa Barbara and San Diego.

If you have the time, see if you can scoot up to the June Lake Loop from DV and see the leaves changing. I was there this year, mid-October, and the valley was glowing with brilliant yellow foliage. If you can, plan a night in that area and see Mammoth as well. Must have been 100 or so photographers in the valley taking photos.

You'll see minimal autumn colors on the rest of your trip since its mostly cities and highways.

7. Re: Best Month to Visit Southern California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 06:16