We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Driving

London, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
RV Driving

My boyfriend and I are driving from LA to San Fran in March 2014. We are new to RVing and do not have a seperate car. I have recently read that the drive along highway 1 isn't ideal for such large vehicles, but we have already booked a 'Road Bear Class A'. I wanted some advice of how easy its to navigate RVs in the popular costal towns, as we don't have any mode of transport. Does anyone have any recommended RV parks that we could easily get to into the 'towns' from.

All ideas welcome! Thanks

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Driving

Totally unessisary to rent any type of RV. There are plenty of hotels anywhere you go, you'll spend much less for gas with a car, and you'll be able to get around so much better; especially since neither of you have driven an RV before, and on the right side of the road. Chuck.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Driving

IMO you will have much more flexibility regarding areas to stay and being close to towns (and dining) in a regular car using the many, many accommodations available along the coast with a regular vehicle.

I absolutely consider an RV in an urban area a bad idea (such as if you're considering staying in LA or SF).

Why anyone wants to travel the California coast with their bed, kitchen and bathroom on their back is beyond me.

Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,194 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Driving

Hi

There is an article on the right titled "FAQ: RVing in California: Is it Right for you?" It's in the Top Questions that can be seen on the full TA website. Here is a direct link: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c187230/Califo…

At the bottom of the article are links to where to stay in your RV. You've already chosen your "Type of RV" but you still may want to read that article. A Class A is huge!

You might also want to read this recent RV trip report. The season & travel group are different, but the family did stay along the coast for a few nights.

Trip report - RVing around California with 2 young kids! tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k6988209

Mentioned in this post
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,484 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Driving

Many RV parks are located in outlaying areas far from or at some distance from coastal towns. Most of these towns do not have the space to accommodate parking a large RV.

Pismo Beach comes the closest, though. Pismo Coast Village isn't too far of a walk into town.

You may have to hire a cab to get to some of the other small towns/cities, such as Monterey/Carmel if you want to enjoy the sights in that area. The RV parks are some distance from both.

Mentioned in this post
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: RV Driving

Dear All

Thanks for the comments, and suggestions. I have got a slightly sinking feeling that perhaps the RV may not be such a great idea, but we are all booked up. Perhaps I could look at our small print and see if we could cancel.

Has anyone done a trip like this before that could offer some words of wisdom (other than don't take an RV!!)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV Driving

Beckiwren - we have hired an RV for this xmas/new year

i find that alot of people try to put you off hiring an RV because THEY wouldnt like to hire an RV, do not be put off from doing what you want as it is YOUR holiday, if anything just plan your route a little careful and pick your places to park lol

how many of you are there?

we have hired a class C as there are only 2 of us and this is big enough for the holiday

we have also booked RV parks all down the coast , many are in walking distance to groups of restaurants

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: RV Driving

Hey Kieranandhollie. Thanks for the message. There are only two of us ( I think we got a little overexcited and just went for the biggest one we could find without thinking about the practicalities).

I will definitely try and plan the trip a little better I think, would you mind sharing some knowledge of your RV parks, I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed, the internet is wonderful but you could lose days of your life researching and still end up feeling confused!!

Hope you guys have an awesome trip!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: RV Driving

BeckiWren - I totally agree with keiranandhollie - my family of 4 have hired a large RV for 5 1/2 weeks during December/January 2013/14 pickup LA, driving north to San Fran then hopefully - weather permitting - Yosemite, Los Vegas Grand Canyon then down to San Diego finishing in Disneyland. I found my original post bought lots of negative comments however they were all meant with the best intentions.

We are from Australia and have Rv'd in other countries in some challenging spots (Amalfi Coast comes to mind! - very tight and wouldnt recommend but we had fun!). While I would never say we are greatly experienced we do love the motorhome lifestyle. I think the key is being flexible and finding out as much as you can. Investigate the public transport side of things when having to stay out of the cities - there are many parks that have shuttle buses. We have even thought that if need be in snow areas to take a tour if its on our wish list to definitely see.

Dont let people put you off - there are lots of plusses and lots of minus for this type of travel and its not everyone's cup of tea. My own family think we should hire a car but their idea of a holiday is shopping and touring the big cities - ours is sightseeing and doing as much as we can in the conditions we can safely.

I personally think you will have a fantastic time - it will be an adventure - just find out as much as you can and plan as much as you can.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 14:12
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RV Driving

Becki: Kinda off topic, and maybe you don't know, but why do so many tourists from UK and Europe seem to want to explore the U.S. in an RV? Thanks. Chuck.

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: RV Driving

Not sure I'm qualified to speak for the whole of uk and Europe Chuck.