We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort TAX etc.. help

Wigtown, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Resort TAX etc.. help

Hi,

I have recently had my all american road trip priced up by someone at Discover North America (great people)

I was just checking out all the hotels and noticed that ALL of them have an additional 15-20% to go on to pay when we arrive- this will about to around 600 GBP extra.

is there anyway of booking places to avoid this? it seems a little confusing, whats the tax for?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort TAX etc.. help

Hotels charge a sales tax. That is mandatory. Is that what you mean ?

Avoiding tax . Humm there is a phrase about that is there not .

Pay a tax when you arrive ? I don't know what that means. If you prepay you should pay the full amount , if you don't which is ideal, you pay the room rate and tax when you check out.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 17:03
Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort TAX etc.. help

I'm guessing the OP is referring to the dubious practice of hotels and resorts charging a "resort fee", which is charged on top of the quoted rates. I've seen this practice occur frequently in Las Vegas properties and it's unfortunate to learn that it happens in other places too.

Usually, the resort fee is supposed to cover fees such as wifi, fitness and business center use, etc., regardless of whether you use these things or not. I normally don't use hotels and resorts that charge these fees if I can avoid them, but it isn't always easy. I don't know of any way around it.

There's a discussion here on the practice: travelandleisure.com/travel-blog/carry-on/to…

California
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort TAX etc.. help

It is like VAT in Wigtown, but you cannot get it back before leaving.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort TAX etc.. help

Arf, the resort fee was my initial thought but the OP says ALL and has posted in the CA forum. CA does have some that may charge that fee but not all hotels

Perhaps the. OP can clarify with the great people who gave her the quote .

Is there a way to avoid the resort fee ? Sure, stay in hotels that do not charge it

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort TAX etc.. help

Hotel Taxes pay for services, such as police, street repairs, etc. and not returnable, they are designed for the costs of public services you use.

Resort Fees are charged by some hotels to cover things like Parking, WiFi, newspapers and other on property costs. Another nasty charge that was popular, but for the most part disappeared was an "energy surcharge fee".

You can't get rid of the "tax", but sometimes you can make a deal with the Hotel to remove resort/surcharge fees. One major one is to join the Hotel's Frequent Stay Program, and then ask about a reduction of the room costs and/or removal of the fees.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort TAX etc.. help

I agree that very few hotels in CA charge resort fees, and I haven't seen them much elsewhere than LV so I really hope this isn't picking up as a practice.

If it is actually TAX that is referred to, then that too is puzzling as it would be odd to get rate quotes that don't ultimately price out to include all taxes and fees. These things aren't usually added on at arrival. It'll be interesting to see what it is specifically that the OP is referring to.

I agree Belomiser! Don't stay in hotels that have resort fees if you don't want to pay them! My last couple of LV stays I have refused to stay at my favorite hotel as I don't like the add on. I may return there at some point in the future but it is no longer my automatic choice as it once was.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort TAX etc.. help

Palm Springs is another place where many "resort" type hotels charge a resort fee, parking fee, internet fee, etc. More likely at the high end.

As others have said, taxes go to the government and are not refundable. Some prepaid sites include them and others do not (to mislead the buyer into thinking the price is low, then woopsie!).

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort TAX etc.. help

Its a standard thing - in most areas all hotels must collect a series of hotel / occupancy taxes which are in addition to the advertised room rate. Generally 15-20% is about right - in Los Angeles its usually just under 15%.

9. Re: Resort TAX etc.. help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 00:35
Edited: 19 November 2013, 00:35
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort TAX etc.. help

Gary D try Motel6, Holiday Inn Express, Travelodge, Best Western, lower end Marriott brands and stay in the suburbs like El Segundo.