We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

denmark
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

Hello Folks.

Thank you for all the suggestions in advance.

We (me, my wife and our 2-year old) want to relax on the california coast for a week or so, renting a cabin/B&B/vacation rental close to the ocean and nature, so we can relax. We will start off from San Francisco and were looking to rent something between SFO and LA without traveling south too much. I tried looking up airbnb and other rental sites, but it is very difficult to understand exactly what is on offer. It seems all the cabins in the state and national parks are already fully booked. Can I have some suggestions on what we can do?

The budget for accommodation is about 100 bucks a night, which should be ok for a small place. We will prefer a somewhat furnished kitchen to do a bit of cooking.

Any other itinerary suggestions will be very very welcome.

Thank you again !

Best

Ashu

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,965 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

Which places are you looking at ? What do you want to do there . Which time of the year is this ? When you say state and national parks on the central coast, there are no national parks on the central coast and state and county parks have camp sites so perhaps if you could list the cities you have short listed, that would help

Have you looked at Cambria , San Luis Obispo, Morro bay, Pismo beach ?

Edited: 21 November 2013, 14:24
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

Your budget is way too low for a private rental along the California coast. There are cabin rentals in Big Sur that might come close. Not sure if any provide a furnished kitchen or not.

Look at Fernwood, Ripplewood and Big Sur Lodge

It would really help to know when you're visiting. Certain times of the year are more expensive than others.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

Kibblesmom just beat me to it! I was going to say that I don't see any rentals in Cambria or even Morro Bay that are in your price range. The few inexpensive ones I see start at about $135per night + cleaning fees and security deposits etc. Those are for now when prices are much lower than they would be if you are looking for summer rentals.

denmark
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

Dear Friends.

Thank you for the inputs.

Sorry I did not mention the dates. These will be between 21st Feb to 2nd March or so. I did look up cambria, but did not find any reasonable place. The places we are looking at are essentially between Salinas and Pismo beach. We are not looking into specific cities

What do we want to do? Drive around a bit, relax on the oceanfront, visit the Big Sur and some other state parks.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

I spent a good deal of time doing some research for you, and I can tell you that your budget is just too low for what's available in the private rental market anywhere along the coast.

There is essentially no where between Salinas and Paso Robles worth looking at. The majority of that coastal inland area is farm land with a high rate of gang crime.

You are either going to have to up your budget or look at budget friendly hotels like Motel 6 and plan on dining out or minimal food prep (No perishables, other than fresh fruit/veggies) in your room.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

It looks like some of these on AirBnB might be in your price range but I know absolutely nothing about any of these specific rentals. I'd only consider ones that have a bunch of positive reviews:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Pismo-Beach--CA…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,933 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

I couldn't find any homes, cottages or condos "close to the beach" in your price range (which sounded very low when I heard it). Mostly I found private rooms in people's homes.

Ocean front in CA almost anyplace seems pretty expensive between SF & LA due to popularity.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

I noticed that most of those airbnb options under $100.00 a night only sleep up to 2 persons. A small child might be allowed, but the OP would have to verify with the owner.

This one is in a good area:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/607908?s=dc15

Edited: 22 November 2013, 17:07
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

I found a place in the Paso Robles wine country that meets your $100.00 a night criteria. Keep in mind that this does not include the required bed tax:

http://www.vrbo.com/450125

You can visit a lot of nearby coastal areas from this location

denmark
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5-7 days accommodation central coast in california

Hi Folks

Sorry I am writing back so late.

Kibbles09: Thank you for your suggestions. They are very useful. I am a bit worried that you say there is not much to see between salinas and paso robles. If that is the case, then where should we head to? I am not very fond of LA, and would still like peaceful retreats.

I also hear that the weather is not at its best in northern california during February. Is it better to go south near Santa barbara?

Thanks a lot !