We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest in one week?

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest in one week?

Here's another post on the France forum. I'm guessing this is a bad idea but I've never done this trip. Any suggestions would be welcome.

"bonjour

What do you think?

Day 1 Arrive in LA early afternoon

Day 2 LA

Day 3 LA

Day 4 Death Valley then Las Vegas (7 hr drive)

Day 5 Las vegas

day 6 Grand Canyon (4 hr drive) night at Page (3 hour drive)

day 7 Zion park (2 hr drive) then return to LV (2 hr drive).

day 8 Depart late morning to France.

Is this feasible?

Or should we just do SF-LA-LV (2 days in each town?)

Merci

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest in one week?

That's only going to give them a couple hours in Death Valley. They should consider leaving Los Angeles the day before and staying overnight somewhere such as Lone Pine for one example.

A more realistic estimate of the drive from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon would be 5 hours plus time at stops. Then they have only a couple hours at the canyon, which for some toursts is enough, but they won't see the sunset or sunrise at the canyon, because they are going on to Page that day.

Then they will have only a few hours at Zion. Zion to Las Vegas is 3 hours, not 2.

They could reduce the amount of driving by visiting the north rim of the Grand Canyon instead of the south rim, and dropping Page.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest in one week?

Way too much stuff, trying to cover too much distance for too little payoff. I guess it's technically possible, but I'm not sure how they'll actually enjoy all these places.

I would allow more than 2 hours for Page to Zion. A good stretch of that route is on very narrow and winding roads in and near Zion..

Also, wasn't there a slide somewhere on the 89 outside of Page? Ah, here it is. azdot.gov/media/News/news-release/2013/10/15… Detour on 89T open, slower speeds needed. Perhaps that's factored in to Google's time.

If they like a lot of driving with not much seeing and hiking, I guess they'll do ok. If they really want to experience these places, they'll be disappointed. I really would cut something out.

Rather than driving to LV via DV, Day 4 they could go from LA to the GC and stay overnight.

Day 5 See more of the canyon, drive to Page and overnight.

Day 6 To Zion, overnight.

Day 7 To LV.

Day 8 Leave

They would skip Death Valley. Page is really the least desirable spot in their plan, IMO, but they can't get from the canyon to Zion in a day, so...

Or, if they're going at the right time of year, sunrise's suggestion of the north rim would work. In that case, I would definitely cut Page, perhaps sub in Bryce, or add more time at the canyon and Zion.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,945 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest in one week?

also you might want to give some thought when you see Zion

Bryce National Park is nearby as well.

http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest in one week?

Thanks, everyone! Any other thoughts would be welcome. Tomorrow I'll go back to the French language site and relay your advice. Now that I've discovered Google Translate (thanks PacNW), this task is going to be a lot easier!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest in one week?

In one week, factoring in travel time, they might do justice to one of those cities and one of those parks.

SF-LA-LV in a week with two days in each city? Personally, two days in LV is more than enough for me, but doing all three cities in one week would be a huge stretch. They would miss out on a lot, including many of the pleasures of the trip itself, unless they are just going to fly everywhere, in which case their California experience would be a blur of airports and a couple of whirlwind days scratching at the surface of each place.

San Francisco and Los Angeles in a week, including at least two days for the coastal drive from one to the other, would be the most I would try for.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 04:58
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest in one week?

It's feasible but they better hire The Stig for this. He knows how to drive fast. In real life with a short visit to DVNP it will be more like 10-12 hours to Vegas. Do you know what time of year they are coming?

I'd also cut out a Page stay this time:

1. Los Angeles-Death Valley

2. Death Valley-Las Vegas

3. Las Vegas-Grand Canyon

4. Grand Canyon-Page-Zion

5. Zion-Las Vegas.

Tet

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest in one week?

Thanks everyone. Time to go translate.

8. Re: Southwest in one week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 05:17