We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

Hi,

I will be planning a trip from Las Vegas to Carmel. I know it is a pretty long distance so intend to break up the journey a night before reaching Carmel.

Any suggested route to take and any place I can rest the night before reaching Carmel. I am the only driver and it's winter so don't want to push myself to the limits.

Kind advise appreciated .. Thank you

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

HI

Think best is to drive between Las Vegas and Cambria (app 7 hours drive) Stay Cambria and take all day for the fantastic hw1 coastal drive to Monterey.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

Thanks. Any good stops along the way for a meal?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

There are many place like Barstow, Tehachapi, Bakersfield, Paso Robles. There will be roadsigns.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,580 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

Winter travel requires having a Plan B in place, since winter storms may see road closures through mountain passes. You may have to head toward Los Angeles and come up through Highway 101 IF a snow storm occurs at the time of your travel. That will be a long detour, but beats getting stuck on a snowed in mountain pass. Snow can close the passes through Tehachapi and I-5 in the Grapevine area.

Another thing you'll need to be concerned with is probable fog through the central valley of California, which can be terribly thick and difficult to drive through.

Do check weather/highway/road conditions before setting off from Las Vegas for Carmel.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 18:13
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

Thanks for all the advise. Would it be better to go to from Las Vegas to solvang for the night and hit the coast pacific highway 1 the next day?

Thought of getting there to take in the Danish town.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

No, that wont be better imo. It's a detour but if weatherconditions are bad it's an option and you can avoid most of the busy LA area driving north of it but it's a rather complicated route (Pearlblossom hw) from Victorville to Ventura and north to Solvang. If you take that route Santa Barbara for an overnight stay prob will be nicer. That said, you'll limit your time for the hw1 drive between Cambria and Carmel and that will be the highlight of your trip. If weather is good just drive to Cambria from Las Vegas.

Tet

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,580 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

I agree with Tet's advice. If the weather is good, take Highway 58 west through Tehachapi into Bakersfield, Highway 99 north to Highway 46 west to Paso Robles. Connect with Highway 101 south to Highway 46 West to Highway 1 north, then 4 miles up to Cambria.

IF weather is bad along the coast on Day 2, head back to Paso Robles and take Highway 101/68 to get to Monterey. You do not want to drive Highway 1 in rain or high winds. I've done both and it isn't fun.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,952 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

Mmmm, Las Vegas to Cambria is about a 7 hour drive, Monterey would be more like 9 hours+ in ideal conditions.

You can get to Santa Barbara (or Solvang) without using the Pear Blossom Highway or going into LA proper. See the Map below.

http://goo.gl/maps/J7YjY

Coming out of Las Vegas on the 15 Freeway you'd use the 210 Freeway to skirt the northern edge of Los Angeles and then take the 5 Freeway north a few miles through Santa Clarita and use the very nice 126 Highway to get to the 101.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

Thanks for all the replies I thought of breaking up the journey by stopping the night at Bakersfield. Firstly how is the town in terms amenities? difficulty in looking for lodging?

After Barstow to take 58 west to Bakersfiled, kibbles09 you wrote that it is subject to weather and just wondering is that road a mountain pass?

From Bakersfield, I-5, 46-west to Paso Robles, 101 North then lastly 68-west. For this routing how are the roads and are they subject to weather as well?

Routing and timing given by google maps average 4 hours between the points, are they accurate to what extend?

Thanks again

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,580 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Monterey Bay

Highway 58 west crosses through the Tehachapi Mountains, so, yes, it is subject to closure (Or difficult driving conditions) IF it snows.

Bakersfield is a large city and has an abundance of dining, shopping, etc. You'll find plenty of lodging options west of Highway 99 at the Highway 58 West/Highway 178 off ramp (There are 2 stretches of Highway 58 in Bako)

I would say the routing and timing is close, although encountering snow, rain or valley fog will slow things down considerably.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 02:17