We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9hour stop over at LAX Airport should I leave airport?

K M
Sydney
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
9hour stop over at LAX Airport should I leave airport?

I am flying into LAX at 9.15am from Australia and have an international flight to Mexico at 6pm so need to be back at the airport at 3pm. Should I just stay at the airport until my next flight or should I leave and try and see some sights in LA? If you think I should leave where should I go and what should I see?

K M
Sydney
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9hour stop over at LAX Airport should I leave airport?

Also if I leave what should I do with my luggage? Is there somewhere at the airport where I can leave it or would I have to take it with me?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9hour stop over at LAX Airport should I leave airport?

Where would you like to go? You would need to spend time going through immigration/custom to get out. If you plan to be back at LAX at 3pm, you would only have 5 hours. Public transportation is inconvenient in Los Angeles. I don't suppose you want to rent a car for 5 hours, right? Unless you take a taxi. A lot of places you drive to may take you 30 minutes to 1 hour to get there, and back. So you don't really have much time.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,146 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9hour stop over at LAX Airport should I leave airport?

Is your checked in luggage going to tagged to. Mexico ? If not there is no place to drop it off in LAX. If it is checked through, you still have to reclaim and then go thru customs and then drop off your bags

If you just have your hand bags. Assume you will be out by 11 and you can be back 2 hours before the flight assuming no check in

Then with 5 hours you can get to manhattan beach or Santa Monica by cab and spend a few hours there or you can book a room at the LAX Travelodge (they have day rates) and spend time there

Edited: 23 November 2013, 09:24
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9hour stop over at LAX Airport should I leave airport?

Find out if your luggage will be checked straight through to your next flight, or if you'll have to carry it with you. By the time you get through customs and immigration (can't say how long, as it varies, but figure anywhere from 20-90 minutes after you land) you might only have 4 or 5 hours total. In this amount of time, I'd go to the pier area in Manhattan Beach, which is about 20 minutes from the airport and about a $20 taxi ride each way. Here you'll be able to walk around the pier and the beach, visit the many boutique shops in the area and grab lunch or a late breakfast at one of the many area restaurants.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9hour stop over at LAX Airport should I leave airport?

You don't have 6 hours, or even 5, by my calculation. You need to allow at least an hour, probably two or more, to get through Immigration, wait for your bags, go through Customs (usually just a matter of handing over a form you filled out on the flight and had initialed by Immigration). Surprised you need to be back at the airport at 3, but if that's so, and it takes up to 2 hours to get through Immigration and Customs (may not, but may), that leaves you more like 4 hours total.

There is a private company at LAX that stores luggage (do an Internet search; I haven't used the company), but I gathered it's more for long term storage. Bags are stored off-site so they'd have to get it for you when you return.

I'd also wonder why your checked bags aren't being forwarded (i.e., handing them over to a transit desk after Customs), but maybe you're worried about your carry-on bags, which is still a valid concern (i.e., walking around with money and passport, etc., if you went somewhere). Some die-hard fans of In-N-Out Burgers will suggest going there, but it's a bit of a walk from LAX terminals or an inexpensive cab ride.

The minimum taxi fare for trips starting at LAX is $15, plus a $4 surcharge. $30-40 to see Manhattan Beach for 2-3 hours (with your street clothes and carry-on bags do you couldn't swim)?? Don't know where in Mexico you're going. If to a beach area, Manhattan Beach certainly not worth the time/cost.

There is a Flyaway bus from LAX to Union Station in downtown L.A. for about $7 ($10 now?) and others to Westwood Village, Irvine and Van Nuys, but I don't see it being worth the hassle. I'd probably just have lunch at the Encounter Restaurant in the middle of LAX http://www.encounterlax.com/ or splurge on a one-way pass at an airline club, but others will have different views.

Edited: 23 November 2013, 19:37
6. Re: 9hour stop over at LAX Airport should I leave airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 05:16