We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some fine tuning needed?

chester
Level Contributor
112 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Some fine tuning needed?

Hi guys,

Need some help.

We are planning a USA trip with our 2 children who will be 12& 9 when we travel and I need some help and advice.

We are flying from Manchester UK to New York for 3 nights, then flight to Las Vegas for 3 nights (should we just do 2nights)

From Las Vegas was thinking of a flight to lax.

3 nights staying at Anaheim to visit Disney etc.

Then unsure where to stay for the remainder of our holiday approx 8 nights.

We want to visit universal, Hollywood, Beverly hill etc, Santa Monica pier, the aquarium,Los Angeles zoo, would also love to go to the baseball? I am unsure if we should go anywhere else or add anything else on to our holiday.

Any help appreciated

Thanks so much

Lucy x

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,739 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some fine tuning needed?

Hi Lucy

Are you still looking at the end of May? Will you be in the US over the Memorial Day holiday weekend?

When did you add Las Vegas to the itinerary? Your previous drafts were just in Southern California?

If you want to include San Diego, fly there (SAN) from Las Vegas. If you want to go to Disneyland after Las Vegas, fly to the John Wayne Airport SNA as it's closest.

Have you had a chance to read the relevant Top Questions on the right side of the page? You'll find some sporting info as well as suggested itineraries.

chester
Level Contributor
112 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some fine tuning needed?

No we are doing July now around 20th.

We added Vegas as its just somewhere my husband and son want to visit they love watching pawn stars and counting cars and want to visit, plus its always somewhere I have fancied but I am thinking 2 nights may be enough?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,798 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some fine tuning needed?

From Vegas I'd fly to either John Wayne Airport (SNA) to go to Anaheim, then head to San Diego for a few nights and then head up to Los Angeles.

Or fly from Vegas (LAS) to Bob Hope Airport (BUR), which is closer to Hollywood and much nicer than LAX and start in Los Angeles before heading to Anaheim and then San Diego.

You can see Major League Baseball in any of the three cities, Anaheim has the Angels, San Diego has the Padres, besides the Dodgers in LA. Frankly I'd rather go to an Angel game or Padre game because the stadiums are very easy to get to. Dodger Stadium is by itself in a ravine and a bit harder (longer) to access.

Check the schedules of all three teams. If you decide on an Angel game, I'd add one more night in Anaheim.

Did you straighten out where you are staying in LA? You might want to post the full itinerary in CA for those who didn't see your previous threads.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,775 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some fine tuning needed?

Yes, two night in Vegas is more than enough - add the night to New York.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some fine tuning needed?

2nd that. 3 nights NY only is 2 full days and that's really very short for NYC.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,566 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some fine tuning needed?

Since you are including New York City, for baseball they have the Yankees and Mets. But, in my opinion if you want to see the best of what America has to offer I would forget about city stuff (and Las Vegas). We have some fine National Park locations, particularly Yosemite in California. Crowded as it is, it is still one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Same as for me when visiting the U.K. where we did not settle only for London. But, that's me.

chester
Level Contributor
112 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some fine tuning needed?

New York is a must as its somewhere the kids are desperate to visit I've been twice but they want to go. I was just discussing Yosemite. How long would you suggest there? We could do NYC, San Diego,Anaheim, Yosemite then LA last?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,739 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some fine tuning needed?

A basic visit to a major destination is usually 3 full days. You don't have that much time.

July family trip

3 nights New York City

3 nights Las Vegas

3 nights Anaheim

8 nights undecided

------------

Yosemite isn't all that close to your other destinations, but it's feasible.

==========

3 nights Las Vegas

Pick up rental car. Drive through Death Valley to Lone Pine. 1 night

Drive thru Tioga Pass to Yosemite Valley. 1 night

Most of the day in Yosemite, stay Oakhurst or Fresno 1 night.

Drive to Anaheim. 3 nights

Drive up to L.A. / Hollywood. 2 nights.

Closer to LAX, Long Beach, Santa Monica. 2 nights.

Fly out of LAX

This suggested itinerary has an extra night to throw in for the destination that has your baseball game.

===========

Las Vegas (3 n) - flight to SAN, San Diego (3 n) - Anaheim (4 n) - Hollywood neighborhood (2 n) - Santa Monica (2 n) - LAX

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,566 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some fine tuning needed?

<< drive thru Tioga Pass>> as the trip is the end and depending on the amount of snowfall that winter the pass may still be closed; elevation at the pass is near 10,000 feet. Just outside Yosemite Valley is good lodging at El Portal. Oakhurst would be better if not returning. Better yet at Fish Camp where the kids (r you) might enjoy riding the narrow gauge train over what once a logging operation.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some fine tuning needed?

Hi,

Unless we have an apocalyptic snowfall season, Tioga pass should be open by July 20th. (The latest opening date on record since 1980 was 1 July 1998. The average opening date since 1980 is 27 May. www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm )

Also, for internal flights from Las Vegas to any of the aforementioned airports (BUR, SNA, SAN, LAX), check out Southwest Airlines at:

http://www.southwest.com

If you use a search engine like Kayak or Expedia, Southwest flights will not be returned in the search results. You must use Southwest's website. The only hiccup is that Southwest won't book flights much more than 7 months in advance of the travel date.

Las Vegas is a hub for Southwest and it will have near hourly flights to most of those airports and, one of the good things about Southwest is that each passenger is entitled to two free checked bags, so that, in addition to their lower fares, helps reduce total cost.

Yosemite is my favorite park and it warrants 2-3 days (or more) in my book. But if all you can muster is one, then one is better than none.

Enjoy planning.

Zed