We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round Trip or Different Airports - Just Getting Started

England
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Round Trip or Different Airports - Just Getting Started

Apologies if this question has been asked a million times, I've searched and just got information overload.

We're right at the concept stage :) We'd like to do a classic self-drive tour of California in August, taking in LA, Vegas, G. Canyon, Yosemite (and the Giant Redwood place) San Fran, and the pacific coast. 2 adults, an octogenarian and 3 girls (between 10 & 14). I've got this itinerary off of various tour operator sites but we'd rather arrange ourselves. Thinking for between 2 - 3 weeks from around the 15th August so it's a bit quieter.

Should we fly into San Fran and out of LA or do a round trip - if the latter, are we best starting in LA or San Fran - inital thought is LA so we can start and end with the kids stuff - Disney/Universal, etc? Would ideally like to drive next to the coast. Any recommendations for best/cheapest place to book flights? Manchester is our closest airport but the flights seem much more expensive, so I think we might have to fly from London. As our dates are flexible, it would be good to find a site that shows different fares based on selected dates. As we're on a budget, I thought I'd start with flights and then fit the itinerary to match the dates. I can't go for more than 3 weeks (including travel time), I want to enjoy each bit rather than feel rushed - the kids are used to long trips, so they're no problem - how long do I need to get the best bits (yes I know I need longer...)

I always arrange our own tours (Egypt, Far East, Europe) but this seems to be the most complex - do you think this is too difficult to arrange on your own?

Be kind :)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Round Trip or Different Airports - Just Getting Started

Hi Spambo, we are doing our own driving trip next September - 6th - 23rd.

In terms of flights, we looked round for a few weeks before booking and Virgin remained the best priced followed by BA.

Ended up with Virgin, into San Fran out of LA , from Heathrow but seems London always cheaper.

We had a few Virgin airmiles that we used too so that saved about £100 :-) Direct flights too

12. Re: Round Trip or Different Airports - Just Getting Started

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 06:18